Timing issues, Help! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By sonysnek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Timing issues, Help!

Ok, so it's been a while since I've been on here, shame on me I know right, I've been super busy. So I'll start from the beginning. Bought this 2003 V-Star 1100 back in March of 2015 and it wasn't running, it needed a carb rebuild and a new starter clutch. Has 10K miles on it. So I've rebuilt the carbs, and replaced the starter clutch. I'm now trying to set the timing and am having trouble. Here's my issue:

While replacing the starter clutch I barred the motor over without it being attached to the rear cam chain. Therefore it's out of time. So.....

I have started over, popped off the right side and set the front cylinder to TDC. All the timing marks align on the clutch side and are correct so I know for a fact the front cylinder is right and at TDC.

I have looked all over, looked at how to videos, peoples old posts on here, nothing tells me the info I need. I need to know once I get the front cylinder to TDC and all the marks align, what steps do I take from there to put the rear cylinder into time. Can anyone explain this to me? it's the difference between the bike sitting in the garage or riding down the highway. I feel like someone has to know the steps I need to take to get the rear cylinder into time by already having the front at TDC. HELP!!! Also I never touched the right side, and the left side Cam chain which connects to the scissor gear had only rotated, not taken apart so it's in factory condition.

Last edited by Bike Merc; 08-05-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 PM

It's all in the V Star 1100 wKB...

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1.../engine-timing

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

I wish it were that simple. I already have the flywheel off and the valves have been moved because I put a socket on the cam chain gear on the top of the rear cylinder and turned it clockwise multiple times to align it with the punch mark, also so it would align to the single punch mark on the scissor gear at the bottom near the shaft.

I tried following the steps and when I get to top dead center on the rear cylinder the valves hit the head as Im barring it over. Or I assume its hitting the valves because it stops turning when I bar it over clockwise with a ratchet.

All these instructions show is how to set timing on the front cylinder when installing the cam gears from the box new, says nothing about how to set timing once you have the front cylinder to TDC and where to go after that when you have the flywheel off unless I'm missing something.

My rear cylinder is out of timing, and my clymers manual shows lining the woodruff key up with a Single punch on the scissor gear, WHY do I continue to see videos and pictures of it lining up with the Double punch marks? Doesnt make sense to me.

In a nutshell, I need to find directions after I have the front Cylinder in time.

The ideal directions would say......

Once you've set the front cylinder to TDC move to the left side and set.....or bar over the motor X amount of times........ But I find nothing in these pics or links that explains what to do if you have already taken the flywheel off and moved the cam chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:28 PM

Garage
set the cams so both valves are closed and drop the gear off the cam you can then rotate the engine without pistons hitting valves to bring the piston to TDC. i have used a plastic straw in the plug hole to confirm TDC then i put the gear back on the cam, as long as the cams are set in the correct position ( both valves closed ) you can rotate the engine all you want, just make sure the chain tensioners are out and you don't bind the chain

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pauli, I'll give it a shot. Do I set the scissor gear double punch timing mark or single punch timing mark to the woodruff key on the flywheel? Ive seen people say the double punch mark but in my clymers manual it sure looks like a single punch. Just wondering which one you set yours to?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Garage
from what i see the double punch mark is used on the alternator rotor side and the single punch mark is used on the clutch side. watch that youtube video a few more times and you'll see why those marks only line up every 10 revolutions. those punch marks are for lining up the primary gear to the scissor gear they are not for setting the cam timing chain, the cam timing is done at the cam gears and TDC. once the front cylinder is at TDC with the cam lined up just watch the straw in rear cylinder it will keep rising, just keep going until it falls and starts rising again when it tops out this time your on TDC compression stroke set the cam gear onto the camshaft with the mark lined up and your done, just keep all the slack in the chain towards the adjuster so nothing moves when you mount the the adjuster. and just double check by rotating the engine a few times, you can use the straws to watch the pistons top out or look through the timing hole, when one cam key is pointing up the other should be kinda close to pointing down

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 08-08-2016 at 04:31 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Man, I appreciate it Pauli. Thanks for taking the time to write that up for me. I havent gotten a chance to get to the bike but will definately follow these steps next time.

I did basically what your saying just a little off. I set the front to TDC and barred the motor over twice to set the rear to TDC using a long phillips head down in the plug hole. Then I rotated the cam chain until the single dot on the upper and lower aligned as close as I could get them and barred it over and it touched valves.

I can actually set the rear to TDC and get the cam single punch mark to line up and the scissor gear double dots to line up but I wasnt sure if that was right. Me and my brother both set it to the double punch mark and fired it up a couple nights ago and got very loud backfiring. Im guessing its because we didnt set the rear to the compression stroke. Thanks again bubba. I will let ya know how it works out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

So I finally got a chance to get to the bike. Followed the directions, set the timing and it still didnt work. I was floored. Theres a 2 pin wire connector near the fuel pump and I had thought it was unplugged at one moment so I thought what the heck, let me switch the wires around and boom, she fired right up and ran like she was new out of the box! Cant tell you how many times I took that side cover off, starter clutch on and back off and ect. Unbelievable. Well, I appreciate the help regardless. I took the bike down the street for the first time in over 10 years. And I bought it in March 2015 so its been giving me hell for over a year. I stuck it out and put this hog back where she belongs!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 PM

That's awesome. Glad ya got it all figured out and back ready fer the road.
Bike Merc and Bike Merc like this.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode