should i keep my 650 or trade to the 950? scraping is what i'm worried about - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

should i keep my 650 or trade to the 950? scraping is what i'm worried about

I'm currently riding a 650 and i'm thinking about upgrading to the 950, but i live near the snake and enjoy getting really low in those turns..and even occasionally scrape my boards on my bike, and form what I've heard there's not many people are there who care to lean in enough to scrape on the 650's high boards(for a cruiser.) i'm 6'2 and as you can imagine the 650 feels a little cramped, but i love the sporty feeling of how it powers through the turns and keeping up with the terrible riders on their sport bike(which i refuse to have.) but with age comes maturity and so does slowing down and getting a bigger bike...I've done plenty of research and seen some posts on here about reviews about the 950, how nice they are etc..and for my budget a used 950 is the top of the bracket. I've heard all i need to hear except for one simple question...and its really the deal breaker. Living in east TN i don't ride the interstate much and prefer the back roads, and as mentioned with my aggressive riding i scrape boards on my 650, if i get the 950, with its notorious reputation for its scraping(I AM FULLY AWARE THE SKID PLATES CAN BE CHANGED), how much would the bike hinder my riding style? no one seems to have ever measured the lean angle on a 950, and the ground clearance is only .4 inches lower on the 950 than the 650, but the 950 is wider causing much less lean...how bad is it? i know im going to have to slow down but i don't want to set my speed to a crawl to not scrape. is there anyone who's owned both bikes and put them to quite the cornering test?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

if you don't like the sound of scraping, don't get the 950. if it doesn't bother you, then get one. the 950 doesn't inhibit your lean angle, it just gives an audible alert when you've reached a certain angle that most other bikes don't give. and you'd have quite a challenge to wear out the floorboard plates enough to necessitate changing them. mine is lowered 2.25" inches and i scrape with nearly every turn or lean and i still have plenty of metal left after 7yrs/70k miles.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
Josh, the 950 isn't going to inhibit your lean angle or cornering. I went from an 07' 650 classic to an 09' 950 tourer. No difference to me in the cornering or lean angle. I don't ride real aggressively and love the difference in performance. Go take one for a test drive, I think you'll see what I mean. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Well i'm looking at a nice 950, but i didn't have cash in hand at the time and thus didn't test ride, but even they guy who owns it now mentioned if i didn't like scraping this wasn't the bike i'm looking for. i don't mind scraping, and i wouldn't mind at all if they were cheaply made and had to replace the sliders every year, some people make it sound like its really really bad with scraping, and if its just going to scrape on every turn, then i mind as well look for something with more angle available, but if you can lower it over 2 inches and still be okay, i think i can handle stock height. its got lindby multibars on it, should it worry about those scraping soon after i can hear the boards? or are they tucked in enough i could scrape the boards pretty well and not touch them?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Garage
They should be tucked in well enough not to worry about. Those who complain about the 950 scraping a lot would appear to be fairly aggressive riders in my opinion and experience from owing one. I've banked some corners riding two up and didn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Keith Post;753833]They should be tucked in well enough not to worry about. Those who complain about the 950 scraping a lot would appear to be fairly aggressive riders in my opinion and experience from owing one. I've banked some corners riding two up and didn't have any issues.

I totally agree Keith. I ride a 950 every day and only scrape if I'm riding really aggressive. The only two times I scraped 2up was on some serious mountain twisties and on a tight on-ramp. I may lower mine like Bevo did and imagine I would scrape pretty often then.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 05:07 AM

On my 950 I scraped a couple times in the 11,000 miles that I put on her. Both times were when the road I was on had a reverse slope and I was overly aggressive. I weigh in at 166 lbs and the bike suspension was at factory setting. Of the four Yamahas I've owned (250, 650, 950, & 1300), I drug my heels on the 250 more than any other.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 AM

Garage
increasing the preload on the front forks should give the 950 better clearance

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

so here's the one im looking at, its got tons atlest $2500 retail in mods on it, and hes only asking $4500 for the bike. although id be throwing some viking bags on it as soon as i got it

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Garage
check the drive belt alignment and listen for any odd sounds coming from the transmission drive pulley or behind that pulley, because that is where the countershaft bearing is, most 950s i'v looked have the drive belt off to one side on one or both the pulleys indicating misalignment which puts a side load on the countershaft bearing eventually destroying it, if the belt looks right and you like the bike you should get it. i'v haven't seen many 950 tourers under 4,000 dollars that weren't wrecked, so even if you sell it later on you should still get at least 4 grand for it, so really you can't lose more than a few hundred on that bike

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 08-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode