Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Replacing Stock Air Intake

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  arby 
#1 ·
Looking to replace the stock air intake on my '09 Tourer. Thinking a hyper charger or maybe the cone style filter. Have Roadburner 2-1 exhaust and a Cobra Fi2000 fuel processor installed.

Question is: If I install a hyper charger or other air filter, will I have to make any kind of adjustments or would this be more of a plug and play style ordeal? This is my first fuel injected bike so I am unsure of what would need to be done.

Reactions: Keith Post
#3 ·
you probably won't have to make any adjustments. from what most people post online, the hypercharger provides no noticeable gains in performance which means it's not likely adding any extra air to your fuel/air mix. and just changing the filter shouldn't change your mixture enough either. but putting on just about any other air intake kit and you probably will need to adjust your cobra settings.

#4 ·
On the V Star 1300 a gain of 10 H.P is noticed and this is without a fuel tuner, on the 950 units it is about 9 H.P. I would stay away from the Kuryakyn Hypercharger, many have had issues with them with the silly butterfly valves that open or close. But any open air intake will result in performance gains.

#7 ·
Opted for the hypercharger. Not real concerned about more power, more looks. Got this in today and installed with minor issues.

BEFORE

AFTER

#9 ·
Hello. Anybody here? I'm going to resurrect this thread and hope. I tried every search I could think of, and finally this one at least seems to have the smallest of relevance. I'm having an issue with my 2007 1300 with hypercharger. Got it used and The butterfly valves are always open. I live in Florida and Ride rain or shine. Do the open butterfly valves suck in water? I don't see an obvious vacuum line. where is one and where does it go on the hypercharger? and, if I attach one, I assume the vacuum opens the valves, how to I make them default closed?

TIA.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Thought I'd get in on this knowledgeable conversation. I installed a cone air filter on my '99 V Star 1100. I had it running for the first time since fall but only with it choked. The battery is trash so it hasn't ran since. Just a case of sitting all winter and not the new open air filter?

#12 ·
Could be the battery, was it on a Tender?

Might be gas, did you treat the fuel & top off the tank for the winter?

Others with more knowledge will be along.

#14 ·
I've read that a H-Charger will give you 1/2-1 HP gain, whereas an open intake will get you 3-5 HP gain.

I went with the Cobra Power-Flo

Reactions: Keith Post
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.