Bike back end vibration over 115kph - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Bike back end vibration over 115kph

Took the bike out for a ride yesterday and noticed at speeds over 115kph that there's a distinct vibration from the rear of the bike. At 120 - 130kph it's almost getting to to the point where it feels maxed out - although there's more power in the bike the vibration makes it feel pretty uncomfortable.

I bought my 1100 V Star Custom in the spring, but due to a lack of license here in Quebec I was unable to ride it until I passed my test last week. Over the months I was unable to ride it I switched out the stock exhaust to Cobra Speedster Longs, and switched out the baffles to their quite Quiet Core baffles. I never rode the bike with the stock exhaust so have nothing to compare to.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the vibration may have something to do with the exhaust or baffles, but I really don't know. Anyone else experience vibration like this?

Many thanks as always,

- J

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:43 PM

You might try using some Dyna Beads, or equivalent, in your tires. They dynamically balance yer tires constantly. I use them in both front and back and never have any shake or noticeable vibration up to 90mph. And I'm runnin a car tire on the back of mine, and a rear bike tire on the front. Good luck in yer search.

Sonysnek
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Good call, I'll keep that in mind. I took the bike to the Yamaha shop this morning - figured it was time to call in the pros. Hoping it's a simple matter of rebalancing the wheels or synching the carbs - I'm off visiting a friend for a few days so won't be riding till the weekend anyway. Here's hoping...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 PM

I've also heard of a vibration problem caused by loose exhaust bolt(s). Can't remember where or what model. Just remember being surprised something so simple and disconnected could cause that issue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

I made sure all the bolts were tightened on the exhaust but yeah, maybe not quite tight enough. I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the replacement baffles - I switched out the stock Cobra baffles (which were nice and snug in the muffler) for their Quiet Core baffles which were definitely a bit looser. Maybe some steel wool wadding in there to firm things up a bit would do the trick.

I'll get the bike back from the shop on Fri - hopefully they'll have figured out what's causing it and all will be well. Got a nice ride lined up for the weekend =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode