Need some help - variety of questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Need some help - variety of questions

so - I went for about a 40 minute ride last night, and while riding, some questions popped into my head that I could use some advice with.

I have a 2005 1100 Classic

1. Gas Mileage - so...I reset my trip meter at each fill up. I'm still really new to this bike, so I don't know my miles per tank yet. At what mile count do you all start looking for a gas station? I know it all varies based on many factors, but I'm just talking generically here.

2. I feel dumb asking, but I cannot find an answer online. In this picture, is the fat end or the pointed end the indicator? My assumption is the pointed end, but looking for clarification

3. I have arthritis and when I sit with my knees locked without moving for 15 minutes, they start to hurt. The added constant vibration doesn't help either. I was hoping for some suggestions on ways to allow for me to stretch my legs out. Highway bars, extend the controls...I dunno. I'm only 5'7", so I don't need much, but I need something. Maybe it's a simple as altering the way I sit.

4. fairing vs. windshield for wind protection. I have the windshield pictured below. It works well enough but I was wondering if a fairing that goes all around the handles would direct wind off me better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Garage
1. I start looking for gas around 100 miles and have had to flip it to reserve before around 115 miles or so. I usually get between 35 and maybe 42 miles per gallon. YMMV with a different year or different mods. It varies depending on weather, wind, in town or out, 1 up or 2 up but I figure if I try to get gas by 100 miles there's no chance I'm pushing it for gas...lol.

2. It is the pointed end as far as I have experienced.

3. I picked up 4" floorboard extensions for mine and they allow me to stretch my legs out straight on the boards. The highway bar that was on it before the extensions also allowed some different leg stretching and positioning, I just kind of wanted the extensions.

4. I have the windshield now and may be getting a fairing soon but can't answer that for sure yet.

2017 HD Ultra Limited
2001 V Star 1100 Classic
Mustang seat w/backrest and hard saddlebags
Trucklite LED headlight and passing lamps
Bub's Big Willy pipes Pods intake
Passenger mini floorboards
Stealth Fairing - JVC receiver with Sirius Tuner, 4 x Polk Audio 5.25" speakers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:31 AM

I ride 145 miles with full tank. And I still had reserve. Sorry, don't know how much I can ride with reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Garage
Hey Jamal,
On my virago, the pointed end is the correct one.
Once you figure out how many miles you are getting out of a tank, I'd start looking for fuel when I've got 25 miles left to go.
Highway bars will help stretch out as well as forward controls.
I changed out my windshield on my 950 to a fairing. The wind is redirected and it feels more stable at highway speeds and if it's windy outside. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:45 AM

Go to ScootMods and buy their 6" floorboard forward kit. It's around $50 it will be the best $$$ you have ever spent. I did the mod yesterday and it feels "just right" as soon as you start riding. I have pegs bolted to the front of the floorboards so I can stretch out even more. I will post a pic later. I have knee issues and on longer rides they get sore. I can tell that won't happen anymore.

Yes the pointy end is the indicator.

I am guessing the 4" mod would work for you.

Side note your wind screen looks high. I assume you look thru it? The "correct" height the top should be level with the area between your top lip and bottom of your nose. You can actually cut it down if you want to.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Last edited by Cummins12V98; 08-20-2016 at 07:49 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Go to ScootMods and buy their 6" floorboard forward kit. It's around $50 it will be the best $$$ you have ever spent. I did the mod yesterday and it feels "just right" as soon as you start riding. I have pegs bolted to the front of the floorboards so I can stretch out even more. I will post a pic later. I have knee issues and on longer rides they get sore. I can tell that won't happen anymore.

Yes the pointy end is the indicator.

I am guessing the 4" mod would work for you.

Side note your wind screen looks high. I assume you look thru it? The "correct" height the top should be level with the area between your top lip and bottom of your nose. You can actually cut it down if you want to.
yes - it's way to tall for me. Another plus for the fairing.
Appreciate the other advice!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Garage
1. 110 miles. I'm kind of heavy and not too easy on the throttle.

2. Pointy end like you've already heard.

3. Scootworks. I am 6.0 and did the 4.5" extensions. I also added highway bars with pegs so I can change position of my legs.

4. Fairing (for me) was better. Much less head buffet, too, and better hand protection as weather gets colder in CT. I also have two windshields for the fairing . . . Tall for late fall thru early spring and short for late spring thru early fall. With that said, i took my fairing off earlier in the week to do some work on the bike and rode it locally (no highway driving). I kind of miss the feel of having full wind in my face.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM

A bonus of the floorboard kit is my BUTT and knees felt great on a 300 mile yesterday. I also hit my reserve for the first time yesterday I had 155 on the clock. Of course it was on a freeway lane relocate with no exit point on a uphill grade. Practice where the valve is!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 PM

redact,

Do you know what brand and part # your HighwayBars are. My concern is them clearing my 6" forward floorboards.

Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
redact,

Do you know what brand and part # your HighwayBars are. My concern is them clearing my 6" forward floorboards.

Thanks!
Highway bars are most likely going to need some modification to work with extensions.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode