A suitable horn and belt adjustment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

A suitable horn and belt adjustment

Hi all....

Just a couple of newbie questions

1. Can you recommend a proper horn which is loud and deep....I really don't like the factory one...if possible something chrome would be better...

2. Would you expect the belt to loosen up in the first 600miles of riding or so....I am asking so that I can look out for looseness and adjust accordingly. At the moment slack seems to beon the loose side of factory specs and I have ordered the tool to do it properly....

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Sorry all
....wrong forum...my bike is the xvs950....can one of the mods move it please...don't know how
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Check this link out here on the forums;

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...n-upgrade.html

And stock horn is miserable...

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

I have used the Wolo Bad Boy horn on all 3 of my bikes. Definitely a loud horn and not overly pricey. I have the black
version on my Strat and I got it from Auto Zone for $40. Not sure if they still make the chrome version?? May find it cheaper on eBay or Amazon. Comes with a relay and is easy to install and wire. I used the wires that went to the oem horn to trigger the relay so you can use the stock horn button. Make sure you use the relay or you can burn out your stock horn wires/button.

http://www.autozone.com/safety-and-s...?checkfit=true

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
How are these mounted on your bike or does one fit where the stock one was? Thanks!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc669 View Post
How are these mounted on your bike or does one fit where the stock one was? Thanks!

Bill
I used the existing front horn mount and added a 1/2" wide modified L shaped (shelf) bracket to support the weight of the horn on the bottom. The long part of the L bracket is the length of the horn then bends under the horn for support. I attached this to the closest OEM horn mount hole and also attached to the horn attachment.

If you're looking to spend the money, Kuryakyn makes a slick mounting set up that attaches to the down tube and has a chrome cover. A bit over priced but Kuryakyn quality.

Super Deluxe WoloŽ Bad Boy? Horn Kit | Horn Covers & Horns | Covers, Trims & Accents | Kuryakyn
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 PM

I put a Bad Boy from Harbor Freight on my 650 as one of the first things I did. I couldn't have a horn you couldn't hear over the exhaust. The new horn is scary loud.

I originally mounted it where the stock horn was, but the fender rubbed it on big bumps so I made a mount and put it on the right side next too and in front of the breather cover. Looks good there as well.

I say the same about hooking the horn up thru a relay as you will burn up your original horn button if you don't. Do not hook the horn directly too the button, it may work for a little bit, but will burn the button up quickly.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

this forum is fine for your thread.
the 950 belts are notorious for being over-tightened from the factory, or having factory specs that are too tight. the service manual recommends 3-5mm of slack at 10lbf, but i recommend giving it about 7 or 8mm of slack or 'travel' and i've seen other 950 owners recommend the same. if you are in need of the service manual, shoot me your email.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Dear Bevo,

many thanks for your reply....most helpful. I am very much still within the running in period for the bike (only 300 miles from new). I have ordered the belt adjustment tool to make sure I know what I am doing but it seems to me that

1. belt tension (using my hands and imagining I am holding 10lbs of water with my 2 fingers...very unscientific ) seems to be around the 5-7mm mark.
2. the belt is loosening up as I run the bike...I can definitely feel a difference from the bike as new. I therefore thought of waiting another 2-300 miles before doing a belt adjustment to give the time for it to "settle in"
3. do people change the exhaust gasket when changing belt tension (manual states you remove the slipon exhaust so that you can torque up the wheel axle)

many thanks for your helpful reply

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode