fuel controller for the xvs950a - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

fuel controller for the xvs950a

Dear All,

I have read through the service manual, and my understanding of the information there is that the built in FI system has the sensors to cope with any minor changes to Air/fuel ratio (due to for example changing the slipon, or the famous Airbox mod).

Indeed the onboard FI system should report any out of range parameters coming from the O2 sensor, the intake air pressure sensor and the air temperature sensor...as well as the ISC valve (which compensates for fuel/air ratio when idling)..

So, in theory, if I do the mods, and the FI system does not complain in any way, this means that I am ok, and I do not need the aftermarket fuel controllers to protect the engine from harm...

Of course if I want to change the mapping to an air/fuel ratio to one with particular characteristics, then that is another issue....

Is my understanding correct?

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

From what I am reading, I have not tested my bike with a wideband yet, they run the bikes very lean. I am looking to get a programmer for my bike that I can adjust to take care of this problem. Start doing some research on what will work best for you. I would recommend finding a shop that can custom tune your bike for you. I do not like mail order tunes because every vehicle is different even if they come off the assembly line back to back.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Agreed....

I am aware of the lean mapping from the factory - doubtless due to emissions regulations

I was enquiring more about the ability of the ecu to cope with the modifications, and whether any other owners have seen any error messages returned after the modifications of any sort.... (and of course whether I understood the service manual correctly )

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM

You will have issues if you do both mods and you don't get the ecu flash or at least a fuel controller. This will vary with weather conditions, altitude, and other things. Save yourself some headaches and get the flash first before any tuner
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vstar950.htm
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:08 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhur View Post
Agreed....

I am aware of the lean mapping from the factory - doubtless due to emissions regulations

I was enquiring more about the ability of the ecu to cope with the modifications, and whether any other owners have seen any error messages returned after the modifications of any sort.... (and of course whether I understood the service manual correctly )

R.
Sorry I misunderstood what you wanted. The programmer if its in line will "lie" to the computer to get the output from the fuel injection system. On a "cage" we use a programmer that you plug in the OBD port and actually change the parameters on the computer. The computer can compensate about 15% fuel either way. So if you add a high flow air intake on the bike it could cause it to run too lean and the computer cannot compensate. Hope this helps some. Basically if you are going to do any mods I would HIGHLY recommend a tuner for the bike. Depending on the mods it might be required for it to run well without doing any damage. Since I just got my bike I do not know which one I will get. I just started researching it. There are a couple that "self program" but not sure what that will do. I want one I can plug my laptop into and set up what I want it to do, of find someone in my area that does professional reflashing of my bikes ECU.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Garage
The ECU can cope a little, but the ECU only measures airflow up to 15% throttle, the rest is calculated buy the stock intake setup. As others said the O2 is narrow band it only fine tunes the mixture at idle and cruise and nowhere else.

So yes for best performance and engine cooling a tuner is recommended. also you might want to check out this. I have done it and countless others have too and it is the real deal!

Ivan's Performance Products
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

you can do an airbox mod and not need a tuner. you would probably be fine changing your pipes to a slip-on muffler as well. that would not be significantly adding more air to your bike. but as someone else noted, your bike is already on a lean air/fuel mixture from the factory and the ECU can only account for minor changes like altitude. if you were to replace your air intake with just about any aftermarket one, you would definitely want to get a tuner to compensate additional fuel for the extra air you're introducing to the engine. i would suggest getting a tuner no matter what you do because the bike will run better with one regardless of what mods you decide to do.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice...

which fuel tuner would you recommend to someone on a budget ...I have looked at the cobra FI200r and I know there are 2 versions (one without o2 sensor input and one with o2 sensor input)...which would you recommend?

R.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhur View Post
thanks for the advice...

which fuel tuner would you recommend to someone on a budget ...I have looked at the cobra FI200r and I know there are 2 versions (one without o2 sensor input and one with o2 sensor input)...which would you recommend?

R.
You will pay as much for a tuner as the flash and you will only fix 5% of the problems. With the flash you fix 95% of all the problems the bike has
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

i have the cobra fi2000R O2 model, and it seems to be a popular one. it supposedly gives a more precise mixture than the base fi2000R. i like this unit because you can adjust it manually with simple twists of 3 nob settings. no need to hook anything up to a computer and download anything. you can set it to your liking based on your mods and riding style and conditions, but it does take some trial and error and a few tanks to get it dialed it to where you want it. you can probably pick one up for about $200. other brands out there are more expensive and require you to download specific maps based on your setup and have no way for you to fine tune.

regardless of whether you decide to get the ECU flash mod as others have recommended, the owner even recommends adding a tuner anyway if you have aftermarket air intake and pipes. the ECU flash is not the same as adding a tuner. among the adjustments the ECU flash makes to throttle responses, it changes rev limits and gear and ignition timing, according to the owner. a tuner changes the air/fuel ratio by adding more fuel to your mix. and a manual tuner like the cobra will let you make changes if you decide to change something out at a later date. the ECU flash occurs based on what your current setup is. so if you change your pipes or air later, you will need to get your ECU flashed again. the ECU flash is $350.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode