Need help post pod air install - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Need help post pod air install

Hi guys

I just did a pod air kit intsall on my vstar 1100 and am experiencing some issues. My setup is:

Cobra slip ons
K&N pod filters
147.5 Mains
Needles shimmed with 2 washers
AIS temporarily disconnected
Stock Pilots (17.5)

I get the hanging idle. I have to let it decelerate in gear for the idle to go down a bit but it still wont go down quite. Stays high when changing gears.

so i unplugged the speedo connector and no hanging idle but it pops like crazy on decel.

I checked the TPS resistance and it checks out as per the specs.

I synced the carbs and turned PMS at 3 and have been playing with the PMS a bit but cant seem to quite dial it in.

Q1. Im thinking if i turn the PMS out any further than 3 or more turns, might as well go up a size on pilot jets? is that a correct assumption?

Q2. Why would disconnecting the speedo connector have an affect on the idle? Is that a sign of a bad speedo sensor?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM

1.) Try turning the PMS in (leaner) 2 - 1/2 turns and see what happens....

2.) I think if you unplug the tank, it disconnects the TPS....which is not a good thing using the stock ignition box. (I don't have a wiring diagram with me to check)

First and foremost, the carbs need to be synched accurately and if there is a vacuum leak...that can also cause the idle to be messed up.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

I turned the PMS out and its running much better. I think the hang idle may have been caused by carbs out of sync and lean condition and possibly bad gas in the tank.

the carbs are synched and i tried riding/ adjusting the PMS by ear untill the popping was mostly gone. It took between 3.5 to 4 turns on the PMS to get rid of popping on deceleration (it still pops a little every now and then but not a lot).

Most of the tuning guides suggest 2.5-3.5 turns with pods. so im wondering if i should go up a size on pilot jets and tune the PMS screw again. i'm at stock pilots right now.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jasonm; 08-30-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:28 PM

What needles are you using?

You could jump to 20's.....that's what I'm running.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
What needles are you using?

You could jump to 20's.....that's what I'm running.
Needles are stock... with 2 washers under the plastic shim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 PM

I think that if it's running good the way it is.....just leave it. If you run into a set of 20 pilots some day....change them up. All that matter is that you're grinning....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode