New windshield!! Its awful!! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Question New windshield!! Its awful!!

I expected to relieve a lot of the wind pressure with getting any type of windshield, and it does just that, but the buffeting i get with this windshield is unbearable. its like moving down the interstate at 80 mph in a car and only opening your front windows, it gives me a headache after a few minutes. i got the windshield for its height(which the top of it is about at my mouth), looks and price and i cant afford to put much more in it, i was planning on using this one until i could afford a full speaker fairing but i cant even ride with this, and now i'm kind of afraid to spend the money on one if it'll feel the same its currently sitting in my garage waiting on me to figure out what to do with it. i cant seem to find out where the wind is coming from. I've placed my hand at various points around my head and i don't feel any strong winds and no position of my hand lessens the effect of the buffeting, I've tried every position possible on the fairing and even moved the whole thing up on down by the fork clamps, and still nothing, i don't want to call this a loss, does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Garage
Hey Josh, I'm no wind expert, however judging from the pictures you posted that's a very narrow windshield at the base where it's mounted. I'd suggest getting some lowers (wind deflectors) that mount to the side of your forks. They will help a lot with the buffeting and are not very costly if you shop around, here's mine on my 950. Hope this helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2959.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	62306Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	62314

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tgmotoman and tgmotoman like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 PM

First, you should have the windshield about somewhere between your top lip and your nose as far as height. Next, I'd think about making or buying some lowers that will fit on your fork tubes below the windshield. That's usually where you get a lot of buffeting from. I made a set for my bike when I had just a windshield as I was getting some of the same wind your talking about. Once I put the lowers on the wind buffeting was gone.

Do a search for DIY motorcycle windshield lowers and get an idea of how to make them. You'll need a piece of Lexan and some aluminum angle and stainless hose clamps. They are easy to make.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input! ive been reading around and someone said use your left arm across your chest to see if its coming from the bottom(it was) and someone said turn around the clamps so the whole shield is closer, which stopped it as well, but now my whole face is above the sheild -_-
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:47 PM

When looking at your windshield.......... I see that it doesn't go down much and there is a gap between it and the tank. I'd say that your buffeting is wind coming from between the tank and shield and the tank is forcing the wind into your body and face causing the buffeting your having the trouble with.

A good set of lowers will fix your problem. You need them too come up to the bottom of the windshield or as close to it as possible. You may have to play with the design some to get them right.

I actually went from a windshield too a fairing and kept the lowers on it. The ride is great. I can hang my glasses from the front of my shirt and they don't move. My long beard doesn't blow around much either.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 PM

You don't want your entire face higher than the windshield....... But you also don't want to be looking thru the windshield either!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 PM

Garage
i have the short 17 inch oem polycarbonate (lexan) on my 650 never had a wind problem with it. if i put a straight edge on top of it to my face its right at the tip of my nose, you should never have a windshield so high you have to look through it, and lexan is way better than acrylic. the extra money is well worth it, with the new coatings coming out they are almost impossible to scratch unlike acrylic which scratches easily. i don't know if its the way the picture is but yours look like it has a kinda weird shape to it, maybe a little to narrow at the top? if your bucking a strong head wind you'll get some buffeting with any windshield

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 08-25-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 AM

+1 on the lowers. Those things are so important I think they should come standard with any windshield purchase.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:42 AM

Garage
fore now tilt it forward as much as you can. It is a small shield, I have one some what like it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:56 AM

Garage
A gap between the headlight and windshield is a GOOD thing. Why? Because is allows some air in behind the shield to prevent too much of a vacuum. If there is too much of a vacuum, that will help pull more air from below causing the buffeting.

But 99% of buffeting is caused by airflow from below near the forks being pulled up into your helmet are causing the buffeting. Wind deflectors and or lowers, sometimes these are the same based on manufacture will eliminate most of this issue.

I fought buffeting on my 950 and then my 1300. I tried all kinds of windshields, heights you name it. Then I tried the national Cycle windshield and lowers (Switchblade) and the buffeting vanished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	62321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode