Trading up from 1100 to 1300, need advice... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By caseyjones
  • 2 Post By caseyjones
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick
  • 2 Post By caseyjones
  • 2 Post By Joshua Burnett
  • 4 Post By caseyjones
  • 4 Post By caseyjones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trading up from 1100 to 1300, need advice...

So I have what is, I think, a great opportunity.

Short version: I can get a 2007 1300 for about the same as I can readily sell my 2004 1100. Seems a no-brainer. But I'm not sure. Here's why:

1) '07 has 34K miles versus my current ride's 28K
2) First model year of 1300 engine and FI. Were there any 'first model year' issues?
3) My '04 has been rock solid reliable... I'll feel like a jerk if the '07 turns out to give me problems.

OTOH, I definitely find FI appealing for a 'regular rider' bike, and the extra couple hundred CC's won't hurt.

Bikes are pretty much identical in terms of overall condition (pristine), tires, etc.

Any thoughts, comments, advice??

KC
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 04:00 PM

Garage
Having FI is definitely a plus, any maintenance records available to you? Check the usual, fluids and tread wear left, if the mirrors vibrate a lot, etc. I wouldn't think that small a difference in mileage would be a big deal, however that's just me. The extra cc's being FI should make a decent difference in performance, at least it did for me going from a carbed 650 to a FI 950.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Having FI is definitely a plus, any maintenance records available to you? Check the usual, fluids and tread wear left, if the mirrors vibrate a lot, etc. I wouldn't think that small a difference in mileage would be a big deal, however that's just me. The extra cc's being FI should make a decent difference in performance, at least it did for me going from a carbed 650 to a FI 950.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Keith.

Ditto on the mileage thing. If my existing bike had <10K or something, I'd definitely consider it. As it stands I view them both as "moderate but not excessive" mileage for a vstar of that age. Helps that I know the guy selling it, and he used it primarily as a 'road trip' bike, so they're largely 'highway' miles.

FI + larger displacement = significant power boost is the key reason to do it, for me. I have plenty of 'vintage' bikes in the stable with carbs I can fiddle with should I feel the need. My regular-rider can be FI, I think.

That the VS1300 is a trifle longer, etc. all adding up to "more comfy for 6'+ riders" is also a factor. My one gripe with my 1100 has been that my legs cramp up (my knees are right at 45 degrees while seated) and my butt hurts on longer rides (exacerbated by a too-short Mustang seat that pushes me forward). So that's a plus too.

But my real concerns are mechanical. I know that one of the weaknesses of the VS1100 is the final drive - robust and reliable UNLESS you let the gear oil go low, then they tend to fail/seize up. I've heard it enough to believe it. I also wonder if the starter-clutch on an '07 1300 still has the same tendency to fail as on the '04 1100...?

It's those sort of hidden 'gotchas' I'd LOVE to hear about before I pick it up and hand over my money (next tuesday).

Also... If anyone's interested in a good price on a reliable, very good condition 2004 VS1100 with 28K miles... Lemme know.

KC

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:41 PM

The 1300 is a solid bike. However the gains are fairly minimal considering you've already got pos and pipes on your 1100. If the money is almost the same, I may consider it.....however looking around at other Yamaha's....the used 1700 FI Road Star is available for not much more (and less in many cases) than a 1300. It's a huge difference in everything including better freeway handling and a ton more power.

Just thought I'd toss that out.... if I found a deal on a 1600 Roadie, I'd be all over it, anything else is just way too close to what I already have.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
The 1300 is a solid bike. However the gains are fairly minimal considering you've already got pos and pipes on your 1100. If the money is almost the same, I may consider it.....however looking around at other Yamaha's....the used 1700 FI Road Star is available for not much more (and less in many cases) than a 1300. It's a huge difference in everything including better freeway handling and a ton more power.

Just thought I'd toss that out.... if I found a deal on a 1600 Roadie, I'd be all over it, anything else is just way too close to what I already have.
Thanks, Mick. I will definitely take a look around for a roadie on your advice as an alternative.

I agree that HP and performance-wise, the pods-and-pipes on my current 1100 versus the stock-on-both-counts 1300 may mean little actual performance difference, especially at lower-revs and in terms of torque. OTOH, pods and pipes would likely be my first upgrades on the new one (granted have to consider the financials on that separately).

Truth is I'm not worried about 'upspending' within reason. Let's say I could get freer-flowing intake and exhaust on the new bike for $1000... I look at it as "what other bike could I buy for $1,000 net over my current ride?"

FWIW, the dollars involved are basically $2750 for the 1300 and I can easily sell my 1100 for $2500 quickly. Heck, if I was willing to invest more time/effort I could maybe even get $3K and make it a net-gain. So it's not a totally-equivalent but awfully close.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Thanks, Mick. I will definitely take a look around for a roadie on your advice as an alternative.

I agree that HP and performance-wise, the pods-and-pipes on my current 1100 versus the stock-on-both-counts 1300 may mean little actual performance difference, especially at lower-revs and in terms of torque. OTOH, pods and pipes would likely be my first upgrades on the new one (granted have to consider the financials on that separately).

Truth is I'm not worried about 'upspending' within reason. Let's say I could get freer-flowing intake and exhaust on the new bike for $1000... I look at it as "what other bike could I buy for $1,000 net over my current ride?"

FWIW, the dollars involved are basically $2750 for the 1300 and I can easily sell my 1100 for $2500 quickly. Heck, if I was willing to invest more time/effort I could maybe even get $3K and make it a net-gain. So it's not a totally-equivalent but awfully close.
Only downside to a 1700 is how freaking heavy and wide it is. I have a 30 inch inseam. So I had major trouble backing that beast up on any kind of incline. The 1300 is lighter, and not near as wide. Also cruises 75 with power to spare. Just my 2 cents.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Burnett View Post
Only downside to a 1700 is how freaking heavy and wide it is. I have a 30 inch inseam. So I had major trouble backing that beast up on any kind of incline. The 1300 is lighter, and not near as wide. Also cruises 75 with power to spare. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks, Joshua.

FWIW I just bought a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 (for business, not personal). Amazing power, but a huge / heavy bike. I think still biggest displacement v-twin ever...

Nice bike in many ways. But makes me keenly aware of the weight/nimbleness factor versus raw HP and torque. Something I would surely compare in a vstar vs. roadstar comparo for myself.

KC

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
Thanks, Joshua.

FWIW I just bought a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 (for business, not personal). Amazing power, but a huge / heavy bike. I think still biggest displacement v-twin ever...

Nice bike in many ways. But makes me keenly aware of the weight/nimbleness factor versus raw HP and torque. Something I would surely compare in a vstar vs. roadstar comparo for myself.

KC
Yeah the 2000 is a beast, I sat on one in the dealer back in the day. My short legs are not made for that type of bike. Could barely hold it up with one leg on the showroom. I think you are right, the only bike inching toward that type of CC on a production bike is an Indian. Its at 1811cc.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Burnett View Post
Yeah the 2000 is a beast, I sat on one in the dealer back in the day. My short legs are not made for that type of bike. Could barely hold it up with one leg on the showroom. I think you are right, the only bike inching toward that type of CC on a production bike is an Indian. Its at 1811cc.
Yeah. My neighbor has one of those Indians. I've only ever sat on, not ridden it (he'd more likely let someone ride his wife than his bike). Even that convinced me it was just too heavy to ride (the bike, not the wife).

My rule of thumb is if I can't pick the bike up off the engine guards if it tips, that's too much. The 650 lb. VS1100 is no sweat there. VS1300 is actually, IIRC about 10 lbs. lighter (belt vs. shaft drive?). But that's probably about the limit.

I tried to pick up a GL1500 once and couldn't do it. Partly that it's an 800lb. bike - it's like my 1100, PLUS with my wife sitting on it holding a big bag of sand or something. Partly that my yammie only maybe 45-50 degrees "list" when resting on the engine guard.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode