New Bike: V Star 1300. Some questions / opinions... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Bike: V Star 1300. Some questions / opinions...

So I brought home my latest addition today: XVS1300 2007

This is several firsts for me. Largest-displacement bike I've ever owned, First fuel-injected bike I've ever owned, first "darkside" bike with an auto/flat rear tire, first bike <10 years old I've ever owned.

A few issues I'm debating

1) Air filter. Are pods even relevant on a fuel injected bike? If so are any adjustments needed (aka like on a carb bike when you re-jet?) OR will just replacing the stock filter with a K&N be sufficient to add power?

2) Replace pipes? I've been very happy with my Cobra pipes on the VS 1100. Not thrilled with the sound of the stock pipes, and as always free-flowing is better (right?)

3) That car tire on the back. Feels weird to me, which is as-expected. The conventional wisdom is it take a while to get used to "the new normal"... But my gut is to go get an MC tire put back on (e.g. the Commander II's I have on my other bike and am very happy with).

I can already tell you I'm very pleased with the power, gearing and seat/position vs. my 1100 (but don't get me wrong, the 1100 is still a bike I love... and whether it stays or goes is up in the air...)

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM

The 1300s are pretty good bikes right out of the box. If it doesn't have a Jack's O2 mod on it, that would be the first thing I would do. It makes it behave better at low RPMs. Someone did torque curves on the 1300 with and without a pod. The two curves were very close up to about 3200 RPM. It all depends upon the rider. My 1300 (2015) with just the Jack's O2 mod and a different windshield work great for me but, that's me. Ride it a bit and see how she behaves. Congratulations. Augie
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

just replacing your air filter shouldn't add any significant air to your fuel mix, thus should not give you any additional noticeable power. if you're wanting to add power, then you're probably looking at replacing your air intake. the stock is pretty obstructive.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks @bevo

FWIW, I had the rear "car" tire replaced today. Only took me a day or so of riding to say... uh... "no". 100% improved since the replacement. No dis to the 'darksiders' among us, YMMV. If my riding was heavily interstate long-range, straight stuff I mighta kept it. For my riding style, definitely no.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 PM

Garage
Nice bike, will love the EFI. No more choking and waiting on it to warm up LOL!

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 PM

I went with the Cobra PowrFlo air cleaner/k&n filter, with the Cobra Slip on muffler, and a Cobra processor (3 manually adjustable PODS) when I had a 1300. I think the air cleaner change made the most difference in performance, but the slip on muffler was a really nice sound difference.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes

Last edited by tigrzeye; 09-07-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 PM

Congrats....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
I went with the Cobra PowrFlo air cleaner/k&n filter, with the Cobra Slip on muffler, and a Cobra processor (3 manually adjustable PODS) when I had a 1300. I think the air cleaner change made the most difference in performance, but the slip on muffler was a really nice sound difference.
Yeah, I ordered up the Cobra slip-on strictly for sound. The stock is just a bit too wussy for my taste. Don't need straight-pipe roar, but having listened to stock vs. slipon online, I'm sold.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:24 PM

Garage
Congrats on your new to you ride. You'll enjoy the Cobra slip-on, great sound but not obnoxious and it won't make the neighbors angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:08 PM
KCW

Garage
a car tire on a motorcycle?! thats nuts.

The original owner of my 650 wore a flat center into the back wheel - I think he was afraid to use the front brake
and I could feel that on corners, leaning it over that 'edge'.

Whats more, central PA is motorcycle heaven! If you lived in Iowa where all roads run straight across the entire state then...

no... car tire is just nuts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode