My "new"/ First bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Pinchuctac
  • 4 Post By 07midnightcustom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

My "new"/ First bike

This week I purchased my first bike. Its a 2001 V-Star 650 Classic with 9,700 miles on it. I bought it for a low price because it has some "minor" issues. It has some cosmetic issues. It all seems like the bike was just tipped over while it was standing. All these cosmetic flaws shouldn't be to hard or expensive to replace and repair. It does have two mechanical issues that I noticed in the 20ish miles that I have driven on it so far. It has an oil leak. It should be to hard to fix. It also backfires/ loud pop sometimes when cold starting on the first attempt. After it makes the loud pop, I try starting again and it starts fine. This is the only issue I am a bit worried about. Iv looked it up and have read a few different theories about what the issue could be but I am not exactly sure how to check and figure out exactly what the issue is. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_195707.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	62857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_195654.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	62865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_195610.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	62873   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_195555.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	62881   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160907_195352.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	62897  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Looks nice. An 01 with that miles and an oil leak I'd bet it's sat a bit. For the starting I'd go plugs, check air filter then you got 2 choices carb wise..decent dose of sea foam or tear them apart and clean them right. I'd go with the tear em apart personally because then you know they're good. Also gives you a chance to really inspect the carb intake boots for cracking and while the carbs are out you can check/adjust the valves. I'd pinpoint and repair the oil leak first. Nice bike.

07 vstar 650 midnight custom
Ais disable, 4.5 inch risers, V&H cruzers, jetted with pods, viking saddlebags, Kuryakyn mini boards and memphis fats windshield, fuel solenoids deleted, star solo seat and 4 inch extensions. Boss audio sound system.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM
KCW

Garage
How do you start it when its cold? Choke all the way out. Give it just a crack on the throttle when it starts, then immediately push the choke in one click, check your lights and signals, and push it in another click. Then wait till you drive 1/4 mile before you push it in all the way. Once the bike is warm you should not need the choke again, unless its cold (in the 40's).

Backfire could also be your battery is getting soft. The bike will start with a 3-4 year old battery, but it kinda sputters and balks.

I dont tear into my bike if I dont need to. I'd put 4 oz of seafoam in a full tank, and run that through, then see how it runs on the next tank with gas only.

Oh... one more thing for starting, the bike does have a fuel pump. When you turn the key on count to three and let the pump jack the pressure up before you hit the starter button.

Last edited by KCW; 09-21-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode