1100 lower stock rear fender without scraping subframe - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By farmalldanzil
  • 2 Post By jdbtrumpet
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick
  • 2 Post By jdbtrumpet
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick
  • 2 Post By jdbtrumpet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1100 lower stock rear fender without scraping subframe

Got an 04 1100 custom. Rear end is completely stock.... suspension, fender, etc.

I've seen lots of great mods to get shorten the stock fender (see pic in reply) but I have to imagine everyone lowers the bike or cuts the subframe for the fender to complete this look....

My cornering ability in this bike is awesome, but often limited by floorboards and sometimes the frame near the rear wheel.... so I'm afraid that if I lower the bike to get the look I want I'll end up grinding my frame to shreds even more....

also... I ride 2up a lot so need to keep stock seats and bag mounts functional.

suggestions? I tried looking through several other threads but couldn't really find anything related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Love how he did this but have to assume it's lowered... (Red fender pic)

Also... Look at 2nd pic... Down by the white sticker on the bottom... Scraped here several times when I adjusted suspension all the way down. Still hit it every once in a while with the suspension about half way (click 3 of 5 if I remember correctly)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15722470227_5e6b0c6131_b_1473734727700.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	63185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160912_174208_1473734841571.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	63193  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:49 PM

You have only 4.5" of travel in the stock form, so anything you do to lower it will take away from that and effect the ride. Obviously it is compounded riding 2-up. You could probably go 1.5" down and be OK as long as you are happy with bottoming out once in a while when doubling up. Most riding 2-up rarely go over 1" lower unless they add a Progressive 465 shock and run it on the pretty stiff side. either way.....the lower you go the easier it is to scrape.

With that said....there are other ways to lower the fender if you are good with a little cutting and welding. But you;d have to make it a single rider bike. I did mine by moving the subframe to the swing arm....here is older pic of it in the mock up stage... as you can see, I also swapped to a Classic fender because it's deeper.....and there is definitely no riding 2-up. The bike is now at stock height and I have full suspension travel along with the Progressive shock, which made a huge difference in handling.

You could also look into an air ride system so you can look low when it's parked. there are still trade off there too.....they ride like crap....

The pic with the red fender is a 650, not an 1100

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 09-12-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Very helpful! Thanks. Yeah I assumed there wasn't really a way to keep stock seats and lower at the same time without beating up the frame.

I saw PCS has an easily adjustable lowering kit and progressive spring for about $100. I may give that a shot.

Can't tell you how much I'd like to get rid of that whole rear fender and do a 1up bike.... But that would require me to convince the wife that it's time to get a 2nd one haha

Red fender as a 650 makes a lot of sense now!

This is the ultimate looked I'm going for if I go to a 1up, minus it being lowered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar_1100_custom_017_1473773513135.jpg
Views:	2174
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	63201  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 AM

Garage
The bike in your attachment has the fender support cut off and tossed then the new fender is attached to the swing-arm.
Mick's bike has the fender support removed from the main-frame and re-welded to the swing-arm. Both are SOLO bikes.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Btw Mick that bike is sick!!

Guess it's time to convince the wife it's time for a 2nd bike
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Here was my bike before...done 4-5 years ago when having a bobbed look was something fairly new......now everyone has one .....so it's time to change. You can sometimes see a fad coming to an end when it's no longer even slightly unique.

That is one thing cool about the 1100....it's a great looking bike with absolutely tons of used and aftermarket parts available even though it hasn't been sold in the USA for almost 8 years. It's also a very inexpensive bike to change up. I have 3 sets of tins, 2 different swing arm set ups and 2 different fork configurations.....so I can change the total look in a few hours if I want.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nice! Tempted to just cut my rear fender short and hide a taillight in it that will bridge the gap a little. Definitely thinking the PCS "adjustable lowering kit" and the "progressive spring" will be in the near future. May help keep my stock stuff but still get a better look

I agree. All this stuff gets real faddy. The guy helping me do paint and powder is stuck on tall wire wheels in the front... Seems to be what folks want to do. Where as I still like the short fat ones. All in how you wanna ride.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM

As they say.....it's your bike...F%!& what anyone else thinks.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Amen to that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode