950 that's been mostly sitting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
950 that's been mostly sitting

Hello. Thanks in advance for your advice. I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 V Star 950 with only 3,000 miles on it. What kind of service might I want to do to get it tip-top? I can see it has sat outside some, as there is some surface rust in a few crevices. Looks like the original tires... The paint is looking a bit dull as well. It does not feel as "tight" when I rode it as my buddy's 2010 950 that has been babied.

I plan on doing the work over the off season, and am not opposed to tearing it down a bit, though I'm not an engine guy, particularly the fuel injected type.

Thanks a million.
-Joshua
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

do you know how it was stored? if the previous owner performed regular oil changes/maintenance? rust might be OK depending on where it's at since i have to fend off rust around my mirror stems, so which crevices are you seeing it? how do you define 'not as tight'?

if you really want it in "tip-top" shape regardless of how well it was kept, then your best bet is to drain the tank and fully inspect the inside for rust, replace all fluids and hoses and cables and plugs, fork seals, new tires, loosen every nut to inspect for rust, and.....

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
do you know how it was stored? if the previous owner performed regular oil changes/maintenance? rust might be OK depending on where it's at since i have to fend off rust around my mirror stems, so which crevices are you seeing it? how do you define 'not as tight'?

if you really want it in "tip-top" shape regardless of how well it was kept, then your best bet is to drain the tank and fully inspect the inside for rust, replace all fluids and hoses and cables and plugs, fork seals, new tires, loosen every nut to inspect for rust, and.....
No idea how it was stored, but from the looks of the clearcoat and the minor rust spots, I'm guessing primarily outdoors. The rust I noticed was where the headers join the engine on the header flange) and in places like the pivot point of the rear brake pedal, some bolt heads, etc. Not too much, but I am... particular. I plan on tires. Is inspecting the tank difficult? Planned on complete fluid flushes (could I learn to do that myself?). Fork seals... uggh. By "not as tight", I dunno, it was just an overall feeling. Felt like an older bike I guess. I am also assuming poor maintenance just as a fallback position...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

IF you feel it has had a poor maint life, even with only 3k miles and it feels "loose" in any way with only 3k miles I would avoid it unless the price was super low, to give you room to fix whatever is wrong. This is the same advice I would give a customer walking in my shop asking about a used car. The first thing I ask them is can the PO or dealer provide maint records? Iam HUGE on that. As far as the minor rust, that is to be expected if you think it was left outside most if not all of its life. Be prepared to fix or replace the seat soon. Sun is also damaging to any rubber, so bad bushings might be the "loose" feeling. DEFINANTLY tires. They should be replaced every 4 years no matter what mileage is on them.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, he is asking $3,300 firm. States he took the bike in trade to bridge the cash gap on a Harley he sold. He's never registered the bike, I think he's owned it like a week. So pretty much an unknown.

I appreciate the input. I'm gonna think on it a bit...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM

Garage
Well if He made a bad deal doesn't mean you have too. A quick check on
Craigslist* came up with some dealers with 09 for about $4000**. and taking payments.

*500mi around OKC. ** 3800.-4500.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

my guess is whatever it 'felt' like when you rode it is probably due to the 7-year old tires. i don't think anything would feel right on those.
there are youtube videos on how to inspect the tank and rid it of possible rust.
it may not need new fork seals, i was just throwing that in as a better safe than sorry policy.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Garage
Judging from the way you've described the condition of the bike, I honestly would be skeptical as the firm price he's asking for it is a bit high IMHO. I think everyone else has hit on very valid points, and much like farmalldanzils area, the prices for a used 950 here are close to his area.
If you're mechanically inclined, have the tools and time, and the price was lower, I'd say it'd make a good project. However that's just me. Please keep us posted on what you decide and post up some pics if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 PM

Garage
if it's a tourer that price is a steal

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks better in the photo than in person. He went up to $3,700, then back down to $3,500. ?

I'm gonna pass. I have my 650 for sale and that would have to sell first anyway. I love working on my current bike, but the points made here are well taken. I see some better starting point bikes in my area...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3340_1475021065521.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	63386  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode