OEM Rear Turn Signal Stem Replacement - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

OEM Rear Turn Signal Stem Replacement

Hello everyone,

I have searched all over the net to see if I can find a video or some description on how to replace the rubber stem that holds the rear turn signals on the fenders. Mine has dry rotted and cracked in half . I bought a replacement but I can not get the old one off... Also, Am I going to have to cut and splice the wires?
I will post a pic of my ride as soon as she's back together I had to take off seat and rear fender to get to wiring I just can't get stem off .. Any tips or hints would help..

Thanks in advance ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 PM
KCW

Garage
I paged through the Vstar 650 service manual, I dont see any drawings or information on how the rear turn signals are attached to the fender. What do the new ones look like? Are there threads on the end or a big rubber grommet?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Hello KCW,
It's threaded on one side and rubber where it slides into light.. And I couldn't find anything in manual either..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 06:07 PM
KCW

Garage
it should be easy to get the lens off the light on the bike

see if there are push on terminals holding the wires to the light socket - if so make a little drawing showing which color wire goes where, and then you should be able to pull the wires through the old assembly.

If the terminals are too big to pull through then you will either have to cut them off and crimp on new ones, or cut the wire under the fender and then splice it back together. I would be surprised if that is necessary.

My bike is a custom and the turn signals are combined in a cross bar, so I cant talk you through it too far.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok KCW,
Here is what I'm looking at.. I can't seem to get wires out of socket.. I don't want to break anything so I'm using kid gloves.. Hope the pics help.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 09:16 PM
KCW

Garage
If the wires are on the replacement assembly and they are long enough that you can cut the old wires close to the base of the post under the fender, and still have a few inches to splice the new wires into the old ones, then that is most likely what they expect you to do when replacing the entire thing.

as long as you have a couple inches of overlap with the new wires over the old ones under the fender (where you would cut it) its not that hard to splice wires together. just make sure the wire colors match up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode