Headlight Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 4 Post By Digger
  • 2 Post By smittyrock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Headlight Question

Hey All,

I feel like this may be a stupid question, but here goes...

Went to ride my 09 Vstar 1300 this morning and found that I had no low beam. High beam was working fine so I rode to work and back using that.

Stopped on my way home at a Yama dealer and got a new replacement bulb. I am not much of a mechanic, but figured out how to replace the bulb.

Started her up and had both high and low beam and no extra parts, so I considered that a victory.

One small doubt in my mind - when I keyed it on, the headlamp was off until I turned over the motor... Is that right? For some reason I thought I remembered the headlamp coming on when the key was turned on. Now it is only coming on once the bike starts....

All my other lights come on with the key, but headlight isn't coming on until the engine is running...

Am I remembering incorrectly? When should the headlamp come on? With the key or the engine?

Thanks.

'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer Galaxy Blue
New to me in 2014

"From thumb throttles to twist throttles in 35 years"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 PM

Garage
That is correct. The headlight does not come on until the engine starts. Completely normal don't worry you didn't screw anything up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BKnight. I don't know why, but I'd have sworn that it came on with the key before.

Thanks for the quick response. Now I can sleep easy!

New to me in 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 11:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
That is correct. The headlight does not come on until the engine starts. Completely normal don't worry you didn't screw anything up.
That got me when I first got my 1300. All my other bikes had their headlights come on with the key. Didn't realize it didn't come on that way until the first time I started her up outside in the dark.
Dekraut and Dekraut like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
Didn't realize it didn't come on that way until the first time I started her up outside in the dark.

That might be part of it too - I replaced it after dark, and usually I ride when it is light. So starting it at night might have been the reason I noticed it more.

Thanks.

New to me in 2014

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Garage
My friend has a 650 and dented the headlight bezel so he took it apart and replaced it with a new one. Put everything back together, turned the key and the headlight didn't come on so he thought he might have loosened a wire. Took it apart and redid it twice more before I told him to start the engine. I don't know whether he was more relieved that there was nothing wrong or more pissed at me that I let him do it 3 times before telling him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode