Sputtering at slower speeds - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Sputtering at slower speeds

We picked up a 2008 1100 Custom a few weeks ago for my wife with about 11,000 miles. Accelerates nicely, no issues at all. When maintaining 25-40ish MPH it sputters a lot. It starts smoothing again around 50+ MPH. Also, seems like idle RPM's are really low and it turns off after idling for a couple of minutes.

So far all I've done is clean air filter, replace plugs and run 2 fresh tanks with 5 oz of Sea Foam each time.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Wife is a little bummed having to deal with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM
KCW

Garage
Im pretty sure there is a single idle adjustment speed screw for the bike. My VS650 has one.

when I first got my bike I thought it was idling too fast, when I let off the throttle in gear it seems like it was coasting instead of slowing down, so I backed it off a bit.

I have an acoustic tack around somewhere and I have been meaning to check the warm engine idle speed.

Something to check at least. If the bike is idling too slow its not good for the bike, the oil pressure can drop while idling.

the other thing to consider is if the valves need to be adjusted. A tight valve will make the motor misfire.

between the two, it only takes a few seconds to turn up the idle a bit. If the bike stop sputtering then you got it. If the problem persists then you need to look at the valve adjustment and possibly other tune up items.

Last edited by KCW; 11-05-2016 at 02:02 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi KCW, thanks for your help! I'll definitely take a look at the idle.

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well well well...

Turns out it was an uncapped vacuum tube on the right side, behind air filter. I found this out when doing a carb sync and, lo and behold, the vacuum plug was missing.

Miguel
2009 Roadliner Midnight
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:37 PM

That'll do it......glad it was an easy fix. Though almost everything is on these 1100's..... great bikes...
IM140.6 and IM140.6 like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode