motorcycle lift craftsman - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

motorcycle lift craftsman

Is craftsman lift decent for a 1100 star ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeleap58 View Post
Is craftsman lift decent for a 1100 star ?
Which Craftsman lift are you thinking about? Here is the one I have and am very happy with it. I only lift one end at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorcycle Jack.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	64730  

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 AM
KCW

Garage
something to consider before buying a MC lift

if you are going to work on bikes that have full fenders on the back wheel, you have to get the bike pretty high up to take the wheel off, without needing to remove the rear fender

to some extent the front wheel too, because the fork extends when the bike is off the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Craftsman $50 craiglist ...any good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-06-07-52-34_1478455344965.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	64794  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeleap58 View Post
Craftsman $50 craiglist ...any good

That's a great price if it's working properly. I've had mine for about 10 years...still going strong.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you have to go and see it ...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:04 PM

Garage
I have the Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV Jack which that looks like the same. I have had it several months now and am very happy with it. Used it quite a bit to replace the starter clutch, oil change, new brakes, cleaning, etc. It lifts well, seems very secure, solid and lets the bike down gently and slowly although I bend over and use my hand to let it down. The only issue I have with it is that it will not roll under my Vstar 1100 Classic. The frame clearance is to low whether on the kickstand or holding it up right. But, most jacks I found would not easily slide under it. So, I built a ramp out of some old lumber that I roll the bike up on. The ramp is in 3 pieces so the middle can be removed. I also built up a pad for the kickstand to keep the bike upright while on the ramp. Once the bike is on the ramp and secure I remove the middle section, slide the lift under and up she goes. One other thing, the way the frame is made and the protrusion on the crank case I had to use some 1x4s that I cut down to match the with of the jack arms. Once I got those in place the bike lifts up on three of the lift pads with no issues and is solid on the lift. I left mine up for almost 2 weeks while I was replacing the starter clutch. I am happy with this jack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160911_134922.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	64802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160911_145224.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	64810  
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Love it thanks ejtaylor... really like the creativity ...Didn't think about clearance for the lift ....thanks
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:09 PM

ejtaylor822 That is a very clever way to get the jack under the bike.

Questions: How do you change the oil with it on the jack? Isn't the jack in the way? Do you use any tie-downs to secure it while on the jack?

Observation: It looks like a lot of weight with a high center of gravity on a small footprint.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Garage
Commonground, I am right there with you! When I would see bikes up on these jacks it scared the crap out of me to think about doing that with my bike. I really wanted to get a lift. But when the starter clutch went out I got desperate and didn't have the funds for a lift. The jack worked great. First time I lifted my bike, I was a nervous wreck. Fractions of an inch, check it, fraction again, check it. I never did a full pump on the foot pedal the first probably dozen lifts. Once I figured out where the "center of gravity" is, I use that term loosely because it is not it's just where it balances, the bike is AMAZINGLY stable! I was shocked.

On mine (2005 Vstar 1100 Classic) contact is made on three "pads" on the frame. Two on the right (brake) one on the front left (shifter). Take a look at the picture and you can see the indention in the wood. The side closest on the bottom of the picture is the shifter side. I have heard comments that wood is not a good medium for this, but I think it is perfect as the wood crushes/conforms to the bike and the pad. I think it works great. Again, you can see the places on the wood. Notice the wood in the bottom right - no indention. It sits on the three pads and is amazingly stable. But, 700 lbs can do that and the weight makes it rather stable. I have pushed on it - cautiously - from the side to see if there was any instability at all and it would stay - the jack would roll instead. Like I said, I was amazed but going back to the weight of the thing and when you have 3 contact points in plane it does make for a very stable platform. I have had the bike up and rolled the jack around the garage. Cautiously.

The first couple of nights I had the bike on the jack I did tie it down. I would lower it when I was through working, then tie it down. But, the jack has these arms that "lock in" on the bottom of the frame, like "dogs", that prevent the jack from lowering should the hydraulic cylinder fail. I have locked in the dogs - cautiously - let it down and the dogs held it. Perfectly. After that I haven't strapped it down and use the dogs religiously. I do not work on it if the dogs are not in place.

Changing the oil is not hard at all. My "balance" point is for the front edge of the wood/jack arm to be almost dead center with the front bolt on the kickstand. This gives me clearance to remove the drain plug. I use my "pad" that I have for the kickstand on the ramp and set my oil drain pan on it since the jack being close does not allow me to set the pan on the floor. I have an ORK so I don't have to drop the pipe to get to the filter.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JackWood.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	64842  
commonground and commonground like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode