No Power past solenoid. 04 Vstar 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

No Power past solenoid. 04 Vstar 1100

Hey All,

So my bike is dead past the solenoid. No lights, won't turn over, no horn, nothing. After seeing the previous posts I was hopeful it was just the battery. I took the battery in to Autozone and it tests as good. I checked and even changed the main 30amp fuse even though it had continuity.

I took a volt meter to the Solenoid, it's reading 12+, I took the volt meter to the wire cluster there in front of the solenoid (see pic), they all have juice flowing through...I took a needle nose pliers to the solenoid to close the circuit and the bike turns over but does not start.

It's not getting past there to the rest of the bike, I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch is bad but I don't want to start just replacing parts. My gut is telling me it's something super simple that I haven't thought of. That bike was my daily rider until about a month ago when I wimped out and started driving a car cuz it's cold and rainy in Seattle. I do ride in the rain quite a bit so I don't think it's the rain that messed anything up.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
P.S. That blue wire in the pic is the USB charger I installed, it has been disconnected since before the bike stopped turning on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	65113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:59 PM

Garage
My Honda wouldn't start at one point and the battery tested good at an autoparts store and a battery place. Did they load test your battery or just check it for voltage? A battery can have 12 volts but not enough amps for lights or starting. NO lights sounds like a bad battery or is your bike like the 1300 in that the lights don't come on until the bike is running?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 AM

first things to check...kick stand switch , clutch lever switch, kill switch.......

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
or is your bike like the 1300 in that the lights don't come on until the bike is running?
No the lights usually come on, you hear the fuel pump activate, etc. But now there's nothing...d. e. d. Dead!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
first things to check...kick stand switch , clutch lever switch, kill switch.......
But would any of these prevent the bike from even turning on. no lights, no fuel pump, nothing?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Also check the ground cable from the battery where it connects to the frame....take it off...clean and re-attach...

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntzuzuki View Post
But would any of these prevent the bike from even turning on. no lights, no fuel pump, nothing?
I can't answer that...I removed every one of those switches right after I bought the bike....

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 AM

Garage
check the main fuse 30amp one

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode