Scootmods 6" Extensions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Scootmods 6" Extensions

Hey guys, I just got my 1300T about a month ago and the first thing I did was install the Scootmods 6" forward controls/extension. I had the similar product on my last motorcycle and was pleased with them. Also, there are not many options for forward controls for our bikes and I think this one is the best (if not only one). First off, in hind sight, I should have taken many more pictures and gave you a good write up on it....too late for that. I am 6'-2" and felt really cramped with the stock location of the floorboards, and this mod has completely alleviated that. I highly recommend this mod if you are tall and/or feel cramped.
I just wanted to point out a few things about the install in case any of you were considering them. They make a 4" and 6" version. Like I said, I am 6'-2", and the 6" extensions stretch me out as much as I would want to be (they are perfect as is, but any longer and it would have been too much). The extended brackets and brake and shifter linkages are very straight forward to install. The kit came with standard grade 5 nuts and bolts, so I replaced them with stainless steel to make sure they never rust (no, stainless steel is not as strong as grade 5, but still plenty strong for this application). They also allow you to adjust the angle of the floorboards. Since you are reaching out more, I found it comfortable to angle them a little so that I did not feel like I was pointing my toes. For the shifter, the adjustment is very easy to dial in for your personal preference. The brake pedal is a little more tedious. The linkage allows you to adjust the pedal up and down pretty easily (my opinion is that it is way too high from the factory, but that might just be me). The problem with the brake pedal is the brake light switch, that also needs to be adjusted according to the pedal location. Once you get the pedal right, you have to make sure to adjust the switch so that it activates the brake light correctly (as soon as you press the pedal). If it is off a little, you will either have the brake light on all the time or it will not activate when you apply the brake. To adjust this, you have to disconnect the wires and simply rotate the switch to move it up and down (it is cylindrical and threaded). The wire connectors are very difficult/tedious to disconnect and reconnect, so the trial and error to get it adjusted right was a little frustrating. Also, I want to mention that my brake light switch wires were not long enough to reach the new location of the switch, so I had to splice in 6" of wire. I used standard butt splice wire connectors, then put heat shrink tubing on to conceal the splice (looks factory to the naked eye). So at that point everything is good to go.
Later, I got to looking at everything (you know, admiring my handy work, drinking a beer, at 2:00 am because I don't have any other time to work on my stuff with 3 kids, wife, work, and life......sorry, getting on a tangent there). Anyway, I noticed the distance between the brake switch bracket and the horn. It is about 1-1/4" from the horn. The reason I mention this is that had I got the 4" extensions, the brake switch would have interfered with the horn (too much to manipulate anything) and would not have worked. I believe that it would be fine if you don't adjust the angle of the floorboards like I did, as that would move the switch farther forward. But, it could be a factor none the less. I attached a picture for reference.
Anyway, hope this isn't too long winded, I just thought it COULD benefit anyone that is considering this mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_000040.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	65209  

Justin
2015 VStar 1300 Tourer

Last edited by JBeck; 11-17-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:35 AM

I did the mod a couple months ago on my 03 1100 V Star. I always felt like it sitting ON the bike instead of down in the bike. I am 6'-2" and the 6" forward is perfect for me also. I felt comfortable the first time I hopped on the bike after the mod. I also did the "Clevver" clutch handle mod, AWESOME. I did not have to cut any wires. I did have to re adjust brake pedal switch. and lower the front of my floor boards as with them tilted up all the way it caused some issues can't remember what tho!

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Pipes, missing "stuff", re jet, Saddleman seat, ScootMod 6" forward, passenger floorboards, Clevver mod. More to come.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:49 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Great writeup and good info!

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tilting the floorboards back also puts them closer to the ground. The first test drive I was turning into my neighborhood, left hand turn going downhill, and scraped the floorboards. No biggie, thats why there is a thick piece of steel attached to the bottom of the boards. Still, I had made that turn a few times with the new bike before that and not scraped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Justin
2015 VStar 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode