2011 VStar 650 Exhaust Mod - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Raptor3000
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

2011 VStar 650 Exhaust Mod

Hi Guys,

New rider here, last weekend I was watching some videos about 3 hole and 4 hole exhaust mod for the stock vstar exhaust pipes to make them sound little louder/deeper. I was also looking at replacing whole exhaust with Vance & Hines pipes but that will cost me arm and a leg, very expensive mod.

My question is if its worth making 3 or 4 hole stock exhaust mod? if any one has tried and are happy with it and what are the pros and cons.
Do I need to rejett carbs with this mod? planning to do a 4 hole mod.

If you guys can refer some how to videos or writeup that would be awesome.

Please advice.

thanks you
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
Hey Raptor, there's a couple of 4hole exhaust mods for Vstar 650s on YouTube. They do give a litter throatier sound. Unless you change out the entire air intake system, you shouldn't have to re-jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:18 PM
KCW

Garage
I cant say if modding a stock VS650 exhaust is better or worse - thats up to you.

I can tell you, years ago I owned over a dozen different air cooled VWs (beetles, campers....)

the stock exhaust tended to be expensive and only lasted a few years with salty roads. I use to buy headers for my VWs.

You could get a set for half the price of stock exhaust, but it was somewhat loud, like a glass pack (but it was steel).

For about twice the price you could get headers with a quiet muffler.

I have to say I liked the headers with the quiet muffler better, esp on long road trips. Dont know how you intend to ride your bike, but for me the constant drone of loud exhaust is not a positive quality.

How loud is too loud? One of the quietest cars I have owned was a new 2000 saturn SL (base model) 5 speed. On the highway at 70mph the only thing you could hear was the tire noise and the radio antenna kinda whistling in the wind. I actually took it off once for a few weeks, and I loved my silent car.

But thats just me.

Ride your bike for a while. Once you drill out the stock mufflers you cannot un-drill them.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode