Winterizing routine? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Winterizing routine?

Hi guys,

This will be my first winter as a V Star owner, and here in Montreal things are about to get all kinds of cold in all kinds of a hurry. Can you let me know exactly what I need to do in order to winterize my bike? She'll be stored in an unheated garage.

Many thanks and high fives,

-J
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:39 PM
KCW

Garage
one ounce of Seafoam for each US gallon of gas the tank will hold, and fill the tank
then run the engine for a few minutes to get the mixture into the float bowls or injectors...

take the battery out an keep it indoors, and if possible trickle charge it at least once a month

some people like to get the tires off the floor, or you can inch the bike forward every few weeks so the tires dont sit on the same spot all winter

put a night light in your garage so the bike wont have nightmares

Last edited by KCW; 11-21-2016 at 02:42 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Seafoam is a cleaner what you want is Sta-Bil to keep the Ethinol from turning to jelly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha, thanks both =)

Sta-Bil it is - I'll get some of that in the tank and put the old girl to bed.

I bought a non-starting '81 CB750 a few weeks back so the two can keep each company all winter. I'll be in there a lot working on the Honda, do I got some plans for her...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:38 PM

Garage
Jimbonaut, you sound like me with my non-running 74' CB 550 Four.
You got some great advice, only thing I'd add is if you keep your tires on the floor of your garage, I'd recommend placing a rubber mat or old piece of carpet under your tires. Moving them forward every few weeks really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 PM
KCW

Garage
"Sea Foam Motor Treatment dissolves and cleans fuel and oil residues and deposits, stabilizes fuel, controls moisture, and lubricates upper cylinders. "

I dont know why some people think seafoam is not a fuel stablizer?

goto their website
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:58 PM

yep your right . it says to use as a stabilizer. i guess i always thought of it as a cleaner and sta-bil as a stabilizer.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
I do the Sta-Bil, and hook up a battery tender. Also lube moving parts with WD-40. Just sprayed clutch cable with a synthetic chain lube. Etc. - My bike is dirty/dusty right now. Just got real cold here. Tempted to clean and protect the chrome before real cold sets in. But whatever.

I'll be the one having nightmares if I go without riding my bike for the whole winter.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 06:28 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

For me if you have a carb I would run the sea foam/sta-bil or BG Products treatment.. Whatever you prefer.. like they said. I would take it for a ride around the block to be honest. Mix it up really well. Then when you get home shut off the fuel shut off and run the fuel out of the carbs. No fuel = no chance of gelling up. I do this with all my power equipment and boat(s) in the winter. NEVER had a problem. I had to use my generator for the first time in 6 or 7 years. It started right up with the 6 or 7 year old fuel in it and did not miss a lick. If it is fuel infected then do the same thing with your favorite additive. Since FI does not have a fuel shut off I would recommend starting the bike every 2 weeks for a full warm up cycle. you NEVER EVER want to let fuel sit on your injectors. Even if treated. Every thing else said here is PERFECT. If your bike is water cooled make sure the mixture is good down to whatever your winters get to there. Be sure to not let your tires flat spot. I also change the oil in my 4 stroke stuff to a lighter weight oil. So when I do the warm up cycles it gets up to the top of the engine faster in the cold weather. You do not have to change the filter as you will not be doing full out riding. Then when riding weather is upon you do a full change to what ever oil is recommended for your bike and have fun.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Excellent information one and all, thanks very much. I'll see what I can get my hands on, Sta-Bil or Seafoam, and will follow your recommendations. It's gonna suck putting her into hibernation for the winter - moments like this I wonder why I ever left Ibiza...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode