Anyone else got a winter project? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else got a winter project?

Picked this beauty up a few weeks ago -

- '81 CB750K, non-starter, bought her for a few hundred and had to push her 2 and a half hours home. I bled and sweated for her already. She'd sat for 3 years with the petcock on and no stabilizer in the gas, so cleaned out the carbs and did a bunch of other little things - now she purrs like a kitten. A slightly asthmatic kitten, but still. Will be doing a brat-style build over the winter to keep my hands busy while I'm not out riding, really looking forward to it. Anyone else got a project lined up for the winter months?

- J

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 AM
KCW

Garage
If I could get a running stock 750/4 for a couple hundred bucks
I would love it to death just the way it is.

I remember when they first came out (my best friend had a XR75 and we use to goto the honda shop every once in a while).

That was THE bike to own.

Sorry, this is not really a winter project post, more of a lament :^)
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Garage
My motorcycle guru friend has taken me under his wing. He has access to a whole motorcycle shop once a week. He says he will teach me how to get one of his Suzuki GS1100's up and running. (Yes he has multiples of this bike and multiple parts. ) He's gonna let me paint it whatever color I want and ride it as much as I want in the Spring.

This girl is gonna learn to wrench!

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM

My winter project is to stay warm. Really though, I have plans to tear down my 1100 Classic, and do a complete go over, lubing everything that needs it, cleaning, waxing, and changing over to 16" apes before spring springs. That is if I can get some heat into my shed.
My second ride was an 81 CB 750C 4cyl. Had to rebuild the clutch on it and put the bike back together cause was in several pieces. But I got it for 500 bucks. Loved that ride. Ended up trading it for final pay off for my house. Was last ride I had for bout 24 years till getting my Beast. Keep us updated on yer progress. And don't forget the pics.

Sonysnek
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Hells yeah - I'm enjoying the wrenching as much as the ride! Have fun with the bike and post some pics of the project if you like =) You doing a restoration or a rebuild? I just got a heater hooked up in the garage so I won't freeze in there, game on...

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I'll do that sonysnek, pics to follow...

I got a 4800 watt heater, 240v. Had to hard wire a special socket but man that thing puts out some heat. Clutch sounds pretty rattly on mine too so will need some work no doubt - never done anything like that before. This bike's gonna be a learning curve...

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Really no winter here, smartened up about 15 years ago and moved to the great American southwest. Almost a full 12 month riding season.

But with that said, I've got to finish painting a set of tins for the 1100.....(almost have the tank done except for air brush and pin stripe work). Then on to the KE 100 to get it wrapped up. After that is the 86 Magna 1100....and in between is the 65 El Camino. Not sure how far I'll get, but I do need to get some stuff done so I can move on to other projects.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

'65 El Camino? What a sweet ride...what colour you plan on? I'm thinking something rod for the Honda frame - the guys at House of Kolor do colour right =)

Sounds like you got the right idea, 12 months of riding is 12 months of not sitting still...

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 PM

Garage
Yep, gonna try to finish my 'in the works' Virago bobber project, then hopefully start on my 74' Honda CB 550 Four. Since relocating to the mountains, they got put on hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jimbonaut View Post
'65 El Camino? What a sweet ride...what colour you plan on? I'm thinking something rod for the Honda frame - the guys at House of Kolor do colour right =)
The color choice always comes last. LOL. I have some good friends that will toss out ideas when the time is right. Right now it is tubular A arms, coil overs, Willwood disc brakes etc etc... I want it to handle like a new car.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode