The oddest problem... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The oddest problem...

First off, hi there guys and gals.... hopefully you can help me... I recently started working in a very diverse motorcycle shop... basically we fix just about everything there is on wheels... please don't hold that against me. I'm usually not bad at figuring out "how it works" but this one has me stumped. And so does the one sitting right next to it. V-star 650 classic's both. So here's the issue. Florida has very horrible fuel sometimes... and people let their bikes sit... so we get em. "It wont run"... so we do the deal... clean the tank, clean the fuel pump, clean the lines, completely dissassemble the carbs, clean every millimeter of surface, then put it all back together... usually no problems from there. No float adjustment needed, good clean running bikes... So this particular duo of V-stars... Both run very well at idle while on the sidestand... but choke and puke when upright... slightly better with the choke pulled, but still not running right. Backfires, misses, and generally non riding... Pulled, cleaned, and adjusted the carbs so many times I can do it in my sleep, and I'm down about 4 cans of carb cleaner. Even ran them in our nifty little ultrasonic cleaning box... jets as well. I've seen a lot of posts about carb issues here, and on other forums... but none that mention this particular wierdness.... hope y'all can help me out. Thanks much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
B.t.w. They are both 650s, one is a 2000 one is a 2003. The 03 has stock pipes, the 00 has aftermarket straights, but they are both doing the same thing...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just tried putting a different set of spark plugs in... purely out of boredom... and it ran right for about 5 seconds, then started puking again... the other plugs are carbon fouled a bit... still at a loss... Gonna check compression, spark, etc. next I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThePikey2 View Post
Just tried putting a different set of spark plugs in... purely out of boredom... and it ran right for about 5 seconds, then started puking again... the other plugs are carbon fouled a bit... still at a loss... Gonna check compression, spark, etc. next I suppose.
make sure the air box is down over the carbs, the box sometimes pops up if the clamps are over tightened all the rest of the ducts must be air tight, the restriction of all the air ducts and filter kinda choke the intake some what, the choke on the 650 isn't actually a butterfly that chokes off the air, it only opens an orifice to let extra fuel in, just removing the air filter on mine made the engine run very poorly, it was too free flowing to allow the available fuel to be sucked into the engine, try closing off the inlet behind the air filter housing with a rag and see what happens, the only thing that failed on my 2000 650 classic was the pick up coil which seems to eventually fail on most 650s from what i'v heard, the slides on my carbs got a little sticky so i polished the bores and slides with #0000 steel wool, now there nice and snappy not sluggish like they were

Last edited by pauli466; 11-26-2016 at 02:15 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
80lbs front, 90lbs rear.... and severe carbon fouling... Back to the manual.... valve clearance tests next... then timing... wish me luck.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Pauli. Most carb boots/intake covers are... tichy to say the least. I've had a ton of practice. Both these machines are over 16000 miles... so going through the maintenance list... after triple checking the boots, and covering the intake with a rag, no change. Draining the tank and cooling it off again. The low compression matches up on both bikes, oddly enough. Somethings outta whack here... I shall continue testing, and keep y'all informed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:12 PM

You are holding the throttle open when checking compression?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good morning Folks. My thanks to SLick Mick for mentioning what my tired, frazzled brain missed. Glad I checked this board this morning. With throttle wide open= 171 front, 171 rear. That's a relief. I wasn't prepared for tearing this down this morning... whew!
Sick Mick and Sick Mick like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, after multiple checks of float level, grabbed a friend and started going through all the different basic test procedures... check for spark... good on front, almost none on the back... switched the plugs, both plugs work correctly... pulling the tank so as to test the coils... looking like this might be a pickup issue... what a nightmare... tracing back the issues.... wish me luck.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM
KCW

Garage
From your description that the bikes run ok on the kickstand but sputter out when stood upright, these bikes have a fuel pump because the carbs are so high compared to the fuel tank.

if the fuel pumps are not working correctly (or are missing?) the carbs would have higher fuel pressure with the bike leaned to the left on the kickstand.

or maybe the fuel lines or gas shutoff valve is not right in the tank? leaning the bike left or right should not affect the spark unless there is a loose wire floating around somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode