Starter Whining When Cranking - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Starter Whining When Cranking

I am trying to bring a Vstar 1100 back to life that I purchased as a parts bike. When cranking it is making an awful whining noise from the starter area. It doesn't always do this and will fire up. Right after trying to crank it I checked the battery and it was at 12.30V so I put it on a charger. The lights were also dimming when I tried to start it. Could this be caused by a weak battery or other problems? I have attached a link to a video of the noise below. Sorry I do not know how to embed the video so I just included a link.

https://youtu.be/_yYT8uzCvE4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:01 AM

What is the voltage when you crank it over?

You can take the starter apart and clean it on the inside.....2 bolts and about 20 minutes. They get packed full of carbon from the brushes. Take time to regrease the bearings.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Garage
Sounds like a weak battery to me...mine did that about a year ago

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Garage
Resurrecting....

I have a pretty loud whine as well. Always turns over. New and bigger battery. Any links on how to take the starter apart and clean it Mick?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1100 View Post
I am trying to bring a Vstar 1100 back to life that I purchased as a parts bike. When cranking it is making an awful whining noise from the starter area. It doesn't always do this and will fire up. Right after trying to crank it I checked the battery and it was at 12.30V so I put it on a charger. The lights were also dimming when I tried to start it. Could this be caused by a weak battery or other problems? I have attached a link to a video of the noise below. Sorry I do not know how to embed the video so I just included a link.

https://youtu.be/_yYT8uzCvE4
that noise is the starter clutch slipping, mine does it when the oil is thick from low temps, if i warm the left case cover with a heat gun the oil in the starter clutch will thin enough for the one way bearing to lock in instead of slip, if it's not cold out i would just change the oil before the one way bearing gets damaged that bearing on an 1100 is weak to begin with, half the 1100s out there had a failure of that bearing, the sound is the wedge rollers scrapping the outer race instead of locking to it

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-02-2018 at 09:11 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
that noise is the starter clutch slipping, mine does it when the oil is thick from low temps, if i warm the left case cover with a heat gun the oil in the starter clutch will thin enough for the one way bearing to lock in instead of slip, if it's not cold out i would just change the oil before the one way bearing gets damaged that bearing on an 1100 is weak to begin with, half the 1100s out there had a failure of that bearing, the sound is the wedge rollers scrapping the outer race instead of locking to it

I'm using dino Rotella-T 15W-40 and I only have 1500 mi. on this change. Is it possible that it's the starter itself and it just needs cleaned as mentioned earlier?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgenranger View Post
I'm using dino Rotella-T 15W-40 and I only have 1500 mi. on this change. Is it possible that it's the starter itself and it just needs cleaned as mentioned earlier?
How cold is it where you are? I use Rotella T6 5W-40 and the cold viscosity allowed my starter to spin the motor with no issues in this morning's 27°F temp. The spec for your motorcycle is most likely 10W but you're using an oil that is essentially thicker than that when cold.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 04-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Garage
I usually ride above forty degrees, which means I don't get to ride very often in the winter.... The engine always spins fine. I thought I read that the dino oil was better for the wet clutch.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:55 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...epairs/starter only thing i'm aware of. the brushes can get very dirty.the pics were deleted by photoshop.if its turning the motor over its working.if its kicking out and the engine is not turning over it could be the clutch.. the starter looks easy to take out. be careful putting it back in. the gear needs to aligne
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgenranger View Post
I usually ride above forty degrees, which means I don't get to ride very often in the winter.... The engine always spins fine. I thought I read that the dino oil was better for the wet clutch.
It's not so much the dino aspect of the oil (there's a lot of BS on the interwebz about synth being too slippery for wet clutches... derp) but you are correct in choosing Rotella because it doesn't contain friction modifiers that can adversely affect wet clutches and it conforms to JASO-MA standards which is what you want for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. However IMO 15w is a little on the thick side for starting in colder temps (usually below 60ºF is when a 10W multi-grade is suggested) and as pauli466 pointed out, the thickness of an oil at colder temps can affect certain starter clutches and keep them from engaging properly/fully during startup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode