V-star 650 identification - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By farmalldanzil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

V-star 650 identification

Hello my friends.

I recently bought a 1998 xvs 650 classic model. I am enthusiasticly working to restore and modify the looks. I will post pics when it is ready.

Yet i have a problem. I am trying to order a speedometer cable from a parts dealer in my area. I told them the year and model of the bike. Yet they insist they need a chasis number or something like that to verify the exact model of the bike.

I checked the bike and found 2 numbers and no stickers as it is an old bike which i bought from a village in bad condition.

One number is lik: VM021 005995 and the other is engine number. I give them to the dealer they say they couldnt identify it. I don't see any proper vin numbers on the bike. Why is that i dont have a vin number? I can see on my import papers have the same number. So the bike was bought brand new with only these numbers on it. So it cant be wrecked and restored. It came originally like this. The papers tell me it was imported from Japan. Am i missing something? Also what number can i give my dealer to identify the oem part for speedo cable?

One more question: I find this cable for other motorcycles and they seem to be 5-10€ everywhere. Original part lists over 30€. Is it a generic part? Can i use oem cable form whatever brand?

Thank you.

Last edited by miracle; 12-14-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
What he needs to know is it a Custom of a Classic. The vehicle identification # is stamped into the neck and the Model # is on the frame between the gas tank and seat
NGM and NGM like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
What he needs to know is it a Custom of a Classic. The vehicle identification # is stamped into the neck and the Model # is on the frame between the gas tank and seat

I didn't check between seat and tank. I will look tomorrow. I know it's classic 98. Thanks. I think if the length fits all speedo cables might be ok.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Garage
the official model number is xvs650ak for 1998 classic

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss

Last edited by BigBuddha76; 12-16-2016 at 09:39 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Garage
the vin is stamped on the neck, also printed on a tag on the bottom frame rail.

5bn-83550-00-00 is the part number from 1998-2001 xvs650a

and it looks like the cable comes with a new guide for the fender

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss

Last edited by BigBuddha76; 12-16-2016 at 09:42 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Hello my friends.

I recently bought a 1998 xvs 650 classic model. I am enthusiasticly working to restore and modify the looks. I will post pics when it is ready.

Yet i have a problem. I am trying to order a speedometer cable from a parts dealer in my area. I told them the year and model of the bike. Yet they insist they need a chasis number or something like that to verify the exact model of the bike.

I checked the bike and found 2 numbers and no stickers as it is an old bike which i bought from a village in bad condition.

One number is lik: VM021 005995 and the other is engine number. I give them to the dealer they say they couldnt identify it. I don't see any proper vin numbers on the bike. Why is that i dont have a vin number? I can see on my import papers have the same number. So the bike was bought brand new with only these numbers on it. So it cant be wrecked and restored. It came originally like this. The papers tell me it was imported from Japan. Am i missing something? Also what number can i give my dealer to identify the oem part for speedo cable?

One more question: I find this cable for other motorcycles and they seem to be 5-10€ everywhere. Original part lists over 30€. Is it a generic part? Can i use oem cable form whatever brand?

Thank you.
check your title or registration for the vin number it should match the number stamped into the steel of the neck there should be a sticker on the neck too unless it was removed for cosmetic reasons, you can always find one used on ebay or the like for very little money the cable should be the same for all vstar 650s custom or classic shouldn't matter both bikes have the same distance from the meter to the drive on the wheel. the only difference would be the gearing in the drive on the front wheel because of the larger tire on a custom but the cable should be the same
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Cable found and ordered. Thanks. Will post pics when finished

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode