Only Running on One Cylinder - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Only Running on One Cylinder

2002 Vstar 1100 only running on the front cylinder. I am trying to bring it back to life after it sat for a few years. The rear cylinder has 155 psi compression and it appears to be sparking ok. See below video of spark gap of rear cylinder when the front cylinder is running. Also, I think it is getting fuel because the spark plug appears to have fuel on it when I pull it. I also put fuel directly on the tip of the plug and tried to start it with the front plug wire removed and it didnt sound at all like it was about to start. My next step will be to get new spark plugs. Any ideas on what else to troubleshoot?

Spark Gap of rear cylinder:

https://youtu.be/ebpqeTDJSP0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM
KCW

Garage
If you have compression and good spark, that only leaves fuel and timing.

The fuel mixture has to be correct to fire. The cylinder could be flooded or too lean.

The timing could be way off on the cylinder.

One other thought, the exhaust for that cylinder could be totally blocked. There could be a dead mouse in the tailpipe (stranger things have happened when a bike is parked for years). The animal, not the DJ.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:05 PM

I'd start by changing plugs.....but....if the bike sat for a while, the pilot jet could be plugged in the carb on the non-firing cylinder. That's what you need for start and idle.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:49 AM

Carbs 8/

Carb issues are the culprit if you have spark, compression and air.

A stuck float will flood the cylinder, you will not fire and you will have fuel diluting your oil.

A clogged jet will starve the cylinder, and it will be too lean to fire.

The fix is a good carb cleaning, if you can take the bowl off you can test the float and make sure it seats properly when in the closed position, vinegar / water at a low temp boil will clean brass jets like brand new.

A way to keep this from happening again is to run Marvel Mystery oil or TCW3 two stroke oil (1 ounce per 5 gallons) in your gas . this lubricates / cleans entire fuel system and keeps gas from going bad, lubricates intake valve, and top piston ring.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:23 AM

Also if you have access to it ethanol free gas endures the test of time much better then ethanoled gas. And if you can run it all the time your carb will be much happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode