V-Star - Performance Mod addiction - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

V-Star - Performance Mod addiction

I bought my V-Star 1100 Classic, used, about 12 years ago and I think the fact that it already had slip on pipes on it has made it easier for me to continue to modify it. Had it been perfectly stock, I think I would have been a little more restrained about modifying it and risking an unfavorable outcome. The first modification that I made was a MaxAir Predator intake kit and the rest is history. I have not done any really expensive or major modifications per se, just a good amount of relatively small and somewhat affordable modifications. It seems I am never really satisfied with the performance - no matter how impressive! I am always looking for a way to improve its performance. My most recent mod was the installation of S&S 429 cams, which I purchased a couple of years ago, but did not have the cash to have them installed until about a week ago. I know it may sound a little crazy to purchase something that I couldn't use at the time, but that is exactly what I did! However, I am glad that I did purchase them at that time, because I recently checked the S&S website and it looks like they do not carry them anymore. Since I got the bike back, I have only had a chance to take the bike around the block a couple times at low RPMs, so I am not sure how much of a difference they have really made, if any. Are there any other performance mod addicts out there like me? Has anyone installed these S&S 429 cams too and what has been your experience with them? Also, what other mods have you installed on your V-Star that has transformed your bike's performance?

Last edited by DavefromNJ; 01-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNJ View Post
I bought my V-Star 1100 Classic, used, about 12 years ago and I think the fact that it already had slip on pipes on it has made it easier for me to continue to modify it. Had it been perfectly stock, I think I would have been a little more restrained about modifying it and risking an unfavorable outcome. The first modification that I made was a MaxAir Predator intake kit and the rest is history. I have not done any really expensive or major modifications per se, just a good amount of relatively small and somewhat affordable modifications. It seems I am never really satisfied with the performance - no matter how impressive! I am always looking for a way to improve its performance. My most recent mod was the installation of S&S 429 cams, which I purchased a couple of years ago, but did not have the cash to have them installed until about a week ago. I know it may sound a little crazy to purchase something that I couldn't use at the time, but that is exactly what I did! However, I am glad that I did purchase them at that time, because I recently checked the S&S website and it looks like they do not carry them anymore. Since I got the bike back, I have only had a chance to take the bike around the block a couple times at low RPMs, so I am not sure how much of a difference they have really made, if any. Are there any other performance mod addicts out there like me? Has anyone installed these S&S 429 cams too and what has been your experience with them? Also, what other mods have you installed on your V-Star that has transformed your bike's performance?
i think there's a you tube video on those cams where a guy measured them against the oem cam and the profile was same or very close to the same. are 429s suppose to be for low end, mid range, or top end
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
i think there's a you tube video on those cams where a guy measured them against the oem cam and the profile was same or very close to the same. are 429s suppose to be for low end, mid range, or top end
I am not sure, there is no information about the 429 cams posted on their website anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 PM

The 429 was the best cam Shane put out. It's best coupled with a Dyna 3000 to make the most of the performance gains. By setting the rev limit at 7000 instead of the stock 6200 it really lets the cams turn on. Without the dyna, there is improvement, but it's not nearly as noticeable. There are several different tunings out there, one with stock needles and one with performace needles. I've seen more success and easier tuning with the stock needle set up, but both set ups work well when they are done right.

The 429 is set up for gains in the mid to upper RPM range where the 1100 is most happy running.

The only reliable vendor I know of still selling a proven cam is Tim at Metric Magic with his 440. Running side by side with Shanes 429 they are about perfectly equal.

Both of these cams are worth buying even if you can find them used. Coupled with the Dyna, it should put you in the mid 70's as far as HP and give you the same or better fuel mileage than the completely stock bike. That's a nice gain over the low 50's HP in the stock form. You'd be invested to the tune of thousands of dollars trying to get those kind of gains out of most any other cruiser.
DavefromNJ and DavefromNJ like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 01-04-2017 at 09:21 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
The 429 was the best cam Shane put out. It's best coupled with a Dyna 3000 to make the most of the performance gains. By setting the rev limit at 7000 instead of the stock 6200 it really lets the cams turn on. Without the dyna, there is improvement, but it's not nearly as noticeable. There are several different tunings out there, one with stock needles and one with performace needles. I've seen more success and easier tuning with the stock needle set up, but both set ups work well when they are done right.

The 429 is set up for gains in the mid to upper RPM range where the 1100 is most happy running.

The only reliable vendor I know of still selling a proven cam is Tim at Metric Magic with his 440. Running side by side with Shanes 429 they are about perfectly equal.

Both of these cams are worth buying even if you can find them used. Coupled with the Dyna, it should put you in the mid 70's as far as HP and give you the same or better fuel mileage than the completely stock bike. That's a nice gain over the low 50's HP in the stock form. You'd be invested to the tune of thousands of dollars trying to get those kind of gains out of most any other cruiser.
Wow! - It sounds like these cams can really make a major difference coupled with the Dyna 3000. Fortunately, I have already installed a Dyna 3000, but I am not sure it is set at the optimum settings for these cams. How can I find out what the best Dyna 3000 settings are for these cams other than raising the rev limit setting to 7000 RPMs? Also, it is risky to run the engine at 7,000 RPMs? What is the rev limit a on V-Star 1100 engine before you risk damage to the engine or complete engine failure?

Last edited by DavefromNJ; 01-04-2017 at 10:23 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM

The V Star 1100 wKB has everything you need to know about your 1100.....including Dyna settings.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...fications/cams

Rev limit is @6200 stock.....7000 is OK for shorter durations and any more RPM's will require different valve springs.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
The V Star 1100 wKB has everything you need to know about your 1100.....including Dyna settings.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...fications/cams

Rev limit is @6200 stock.....7000 is OK for shorter durations and any more RPM's will require different valve springs.
Thanks so much for the information - I really appreciate it !

I was thinking of changing out the valve springs too, but my mechanic said it would require the removal of the motor from the frame and would be 10 times more work that just installing the cams. Is this true?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNJ View Post
The first modification that I made was a MaxAir Predator intake kit and the rest is history.
I've got a '04 V-Star 1100 and thinking about putting in the Predator Pro. Looking for some info and any advice you have. Did you do it yourself? Did you jet the carbs yourself? What was your level of mechanical prowess at the time of the install? What exhaust are you running with it? Personally, I'm getting better at the mechanic thing but not even close to a pro. Nervous about the jetting but everything I can find says it's not a big deal and I should be able to handle it. Also, not sure what I need after that as far as turning goes. Looking to pair that with the Pacific Coast Star Monster Pro Exhaust. Thanks for your thoughts!

NYCruiserMan
Rochester, NY

2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
National Cycle SwitchBlade Quick Release Windshield
Baron Kickback Risers (4" riser, 1.5" pull back)
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn Mechanical Throttle Cruise Assist
Yamaha Floorboards with Heel/Toe shifter
Kuryakyn ISO Floorboards (passenger)
Sissy bar (PO installed)
Saddlemen Express Drifter Bags w/Edge Quick Release Brackets
Clear Alternatives LED Integrated Tail Light
Jardine Slip-Ons (PO installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode