Slipons or Full Exhaust? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Slipons or Full Exhaust?

My bike had Cobra slash cut slipons already installed on it when I purchased it. I ran these pipes for a while, but I felt that they were a little too loud and it seemed like the bike would wind out quickly and would not build any additional power with increased throttle input once it hit a certain point. Therefore, I saved for a new set of V&H slash cut slipons. These were not as loud and seemed to let the bike build power longer with increased throttle input. I theorized that the Cobra slipons were less restrictive then the V&H slipons and that the perceived difference in performance was due to the bike needing a certain amount of back pressure in order to perform well and that the V&H slipons provided the right amount. I am not sure if my theory was correct or not, but I have been very happy with the performance of my V&H slipons. However, I wonder if a full aftermarket exhaust would be even better than the V&H slipons or not? If so, is the difference in performance worth the difference in cost?

Last edited by DavefromNJ; 01-07-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Garage
Good question Dave. Please forgive me as I've forgotten which yammy you're riding, it's 9 degrees outside so my brain is a little bit cold.
Judging from your avatar it appears your bike has true dual exhaust. When I did my research for aftermarket exhaust after purchasing my 950 tourer, I found that for maximum performance, not mpg, but performance, opening up the exhaust is only part of the game. I spoke to three Yamaha mechanics and researched the Internet in depth. All of the mechanics stated that there wasn't huge differences in exhaust brands, however when you open up the air intake system along with the exhaust, you'll get the best performance gains. I didn't notice if you'd done any mods to your air intake, but I'm just passing along what my research found. Personally I like the looks of true duals, however my bikes research showed keeping the 2into1 with an aftermarket slip on gave better torque, and throttle response. At the time, and even now I couldn't afford the $700 price tag for the true duals and an open air filter kit and a fuel processor since my 950 is fuel injected. At that time to get my ECU reflashed was around $500-$600 with an undetermined down time while it was being sent off for the reflash.
I do know that after I added the cobra slip on, I had a bit more performance and great sound. After the open air filter kit and fuel processor to compensate for the upgrades, much better performance all around. This was just my findings and I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on what you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 AM

Garage
My Roadstar had a set of V&H slashcuts on it when I bought it. the mechanics who did the road worthy had stuffed them full of fiber glass and some perf pipe to get the noise down. Needless to say it ran like a dog. when I took that stuff out it ran great but was very loud. I ended up fitting V&H quiet baffles and putting in these baffles I got from Germany as well which are a straight perforated tube wrapped in muffler felt. the performance seems good and the bike has a nice mellow rumble without being obnoxiously loud.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Can't say much for performance, but in terms of looks and sound the Cobra Speedster Longs that I put on my 1100 Custom this summer are the mutts nuts. I live an urban life, and so installed the Quiet Core baffles as well, the sound is still amazing but man if I lived in the sticks I'd've kept in the stock baffles. Even with the Quite Cores the sound from these pipes is fantastic, they look rad on the bike and now she sounds like she should. Can't recommend them enough.

In terms of performance I think there may be slight benefits, but none I noticed. I'll be honest, I did it for looks and sounds. I'm all about that sh#t =)

Now I'm going to show her off...

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Garage
Those look good! Nice background.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Think they look good, man you should hear them...

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Good question Dave. Please forgive me as I've forgotten which yammy you're riding, it's 9 degrees outside so my brain is a little bit cold.
Judging from your avatar it appears your bike has true dual exhaust. When I did my research for aftermarket exhaust after purchasing my 950 tourer, I found that for maximum performance, not mpg, but performance, opening up the exhaust is only part of the game. I spoke to three Yamaha mechanics and researched the Internet in depth. All of the mechanics stated that there wasn't huge differences in exhaust brands, however when you open up the air intake system along with the exhaust, you'll get the best performance gains. I didn't notice if you'd done any mods to your air intake, but I'm just passing along what my research found. Personally I like the looks of true duals, however my bikes research showed keeping the 2into1 with an aftermarket slip on gave better torque, and throttle response. At the time, and even now I couldn't afford the $700 price tag for the true duals and an open air filter kit and a fuel processor since my 950 is fuel injected. At that time to get my ECU reflashed was around $500-$600 with an undetermined down time while it was being sent off for the reflash.
I do know that after I added the cobra slip on, I had a bit more performance and great sound. After the open air filter kit and fuel processor to compensate for the upgrades, much better performance all around. This was just my findings and I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on what you decide on.

I noticed a difference too after opening up the restrictive stock airbox. I had a Maxair Predator pod kit installed shortly after I purchased the bike and it improved the responsiveness of the engine and it seemed to increase the horsepower too.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedobean View Post
My Roadstar had a set of V&H slashcuts on it when I bought it. the mechanics who did the road worthy had stuffed them full of fiber glass and some perf pipe to get the noise down. Needless to say it ran like a dog. when I took that stuff out it ran great but was very loud. I ended up fitting V&H quiet baffles and putting in these baffles I got from Germany as well which are a straight perforated tube wrapped in muffler felt. the performance seems good and the bike has a nice mellow rumble without being obnoxiously loud.
Yes, the V&H slipons are definitely loud. However, I think the sound pales to the loudness of my COBRA slipons. The V&H slipons have a sharp crisp bark, but my COBRA slipons were very close to the sound of straight pipes when I twisted the throttle or when the bike was lugging at low RPMs!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jimbonaut View Post
Can't say much for performance, but in terms of looks and sound the Cobra Speedster Longs that I put on my 1100 Custom this summer are the mutts nuts. I live an urban life, and so installed the Quiet Core baffles as well, the sound is still amazing but man if I lived in the sticks I'd've kept in the stock baffles. Even with the Quite Cores the sound from these pipes is fantastic, they look rad on the bike and now she sounds like she should. Can't recommend them enough.

In terms of performance I think there may be slight benefits, but none I noticed. I'll be honest, I did it for looks and sounds. I'm all about that sh#t =)

Now I'm going to show her off...

They look cool and go well with the bike!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM

If you are riding an 1100 with the stock head pipes, and have pods, you'll see a pretty good performace increase going with full pipes. The stock ones are extremely restrictive. Open it up to let more air flow through the carbs, you'll pick up another 5+ HP.

You'll most likely need to bump up the main jet size depending on what you've got in there now.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 01-09-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode