Dies unless on half choke and sluggish - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Dies unless on half choke and sluggish

Hi All,

I let my bike sit for about three months and have had a hell of a time getting it happy again. I went to bonneville this past summer and found some leftover salt in the 4 pin connector from the wiring harness to the ignition switch and it had eroded the hot wire from the ignition (see pic). So I cleaned out the connector and put and spliced in an in-line fuse for the hot wire that was eroded. The bike still wouldn't start and I finally discovered there was no spark on the front jug, so I tested the coil and was only getting 2 ohms resistance. I replace the coil and the plugs.

After that the bike started just fine and was idling but when I went to hit the accelerator it died. I let it warm up for about 15 minutes as right now it's in the mid 20's to low 30's in Seattle. The bike rides now but it's bogged down. The bike idles just fine with the choke off but if I hit the throttle it dies unless i twist ever so gentle and gradually accelerate.

I filled the tank up and put a bottle of gumout carb treatment in there and rode until I couldn't feel my fingers (30-40 mintues). It feels so bogged down, it runs but it's so unresponsive. Like when I shift it's sluggish as if I started in the wrong gear. Sorry, if I'm not describing well.

I'm thinking maybe the carbs are gummed up or maybe the timing isn't advancing properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (95.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by suntzuzuki; 02-02-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 PM

It may help if we knew what bike you have....... but it doesw sound like you are probably due for a good carb cleaning.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
It may help if we knew what bike you have........
DOH!!!! Face palm!

2004 V-star 1100

I haven't taken the carbs out of this bike but I suppose it's time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 PM

LOL...

Go here and read "The Jetting Bible"....these carbs are super easy.

Never get spray carb cleaner on any rubber parts and make sure to run a bread tie wire through all of the jets.......especially the side holes on the pilot jets. I usually pull the jets and soak them for a while, then run the wire through them.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode