Looking At 2008 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Looking At 2008 1300

I've been searching for that "perfect" V Star 1300 for an upgrade from my Suzuki C50 Boulevard (800cc) and think I have the one I'd like to purchase. The plan is to drive down weekend after this coming and if all looks (and rides) good, I'll trailer it the 10 hours home.

The bike is a 2008 1300 tourer with 30K miles and really loaded with options. The only downside I see in talking with the owner (one owner bike) is that he hasn't had the valve adjustment done since it was new. The valve adjustment looks a LOT like what I've done several times on my C50, so I can do it once I get the bike back home. He has changed the oil religiously.

The price is right (well below book) and he is selling due to his advancing age (approaching 70).

Am I asking for trouble in purchasing a bike that hasn't had the adjustment done?

Or does it make sense just to purchase it, do the adjustment, then have fun riding it and quite worrying about it?

NCDaveD.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Hey Dave,

Some years ago I went from a 2007 C50 to a 2008 Vstar 1300 Tourer. The 1300 was used with almost 7000 miles on it. It was one of my best decisions ever.
Even though some years later I am now on a Road King, the 1300 was a fantastic upgrade from the C50. I traded in the 1300 with (guessing) around 18000 miles on it.

Never had a valve adjustment either on the 1300, even though on my c50 I too have done valve adjustments, boy what a PITA that is.

The 1300 owners manual was updated some years later to state they only need to be checked at 15K intervals. Many owners reported that no adjustment was needed and the ones who did said it was slight.

For me personally, as long as the engine sounds good I would not hesitate to make your purchase, even more so that an older person owned the bike.
The 1300 is a great bike for the price, and yes, I would do a valve check once you buy it, also change the brake fluid.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Garage
Yep the 1300 has the 16K valve adjustment interval. However most have said when it was checked, it didn't need any adjustment if any. The 1300, 950, and Stryker engines uses rollers that ride on the camshaft, this in itself significantly reduces wear.

Here is a 1300 forum, just about everything you could ever ask or know about them can be found here.

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

V Star 1300 Wiki / FrontPage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thanks for the replies fellas. I've visited all the yamaha and v star sites I could find and unfortunately many are not very active. They do hold a treasure trove of information, which I've downloaded and made documents for valve adjusting, tank removal, performance upgrades, and anything else that looked the least bit useful.

The bike I'm looking at has full ultimate seats and backrests, driving lights, highway bar, luggage rack, passenger floorboards, fender tips, 12 V adapter and even a trailer hitch. I'll probably put on braided brake hoses when I do the fluids and will ride it awhile before I decide on any performance upgrades (slip on, air filter, ECU flash, etc) and riding upgrades (progressive springs, lowers).

If I could have upgraded the performance of my C50, I would have done it and been a happy man. But every single post I've read w/r/t C50 performance upgrades said the same thing..... you would spend a fortune and not get much. The conclusion was the same every time..... upgrade to a bike with the performance you want. I did test drive a V Star 1300 and found it to ride well, accelerated well, looked nice and wasn't that much heavier than my C50. Easy decision.

I guess first thing I need to do is make a lift frame to fit the underside of the 1300. My C50 spoiled me as it was so easy to just pull up on the handlebar, slide the jack under the frame, and pump it up.

NCDaveD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Garage
These items alone (slip on, air filter, ECU flash), etc will give you about a 12 HP boost. The ECU flash makes the bike ride like a completely different bike, and gets rid of all the annoying things about the ON/OFF fuel injection behavior.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post

Here is a 1300 forum, just about everything you could ever ask or know about them can be found here.

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

V Star 1300 Wiki / FrontPage
The 1300 forum above used to be a good forum and there is still a lot of good info there and people. Sadly its run by a new moderator, nothing like the old moderator (Morg) free thoughts are out with the new guy, no matter how respectful, you will find posts he does not agree with deleted with no notice.

Not much of a forum when one can not respectfully post thoughts and he will get more smart of see the demise of his "kingdom" ./// )

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 02-18-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
These items alone (slip on, air filter, ECU flash), etc will give you about a 12 HP boost. The ECU flash makes the bike ride like a completely different bike, and gets rid of all the annoying things about the ON/OFF fuel injection behavior.
Sorry, but I would have to disagree. MAYBE 5 hp if lucky.

My 09 1300T has full exhaust, K&N Filter, Custom mapped tune and gained 9hp. Better tune than any off the website or out of the box tune.

2009 V-Star 1300T
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vink70 View Post
Sorry, but I would have to disagree. MAYBE 5 hp if lucky.

My 09 1300T has full exhaust, K&N Filter, Custom mapped tune and gained 9hp. Better tune than any off the website or out of the box tune.
LOL...there you go being all realistic. Great to see somebody that actually checked to see where their HP was at.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDaveD View Post
I've been searching for that "perfect" V Star 1300 for an upgrade from my Suzuki C50 Boulevard (800cc) and think I have the one I'd like to purchase. The plan is to drive down weekend after this coming and if all looks (and rides) good, I'll trailer it the 10 hours home.

The bike is a 2008 1300 tourer with 30K miles and really loaded with options. The only downside I see in talking with the owner (one owner bike) is that he hasn't had the valve adjustment done since it was new. The valve adjustment looks a LOT like what I've done several times on my C50, so I can do it once I get the bike back home. He has changed the oil religiously.

The price is right (well below book) and he is selling due to his advancing age (approaching 70).

Am I asking for trouble in purchasing a bike that hasn't had the adjustment done?

Or does it make sense just to purchase it, do the adjustment, then have fun riding it and quite worrying about it?

NCDaveD.
My own experience (and what I've seen here many times too) suggests that not adjusting the valves in 30,000 miles would be no huge problem. Most folks who adjust at that kind of interval would find only moderate wear / little change needed IME.

By all means, do the adjustment when you get 'er home. Just saying my understanding is failure to do so in that interval is not gonna be terribly significant.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDaveD View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I've visited all the yamaha and v star sites I could find and unfortunately many are not very active. They do hold a treasure trove of information, which I've downloaded and made documents for valve adjusting, tank removal, performance upgrades, and anything else that looked the least bit useful... NCDaveD
This one is as active as any I've found, and even here there's far less posting specific to the 1300 than 1100's and others. Maybe our 1300's just aren't old enough yet to have built up the dialog?

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode