Strange starting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By xxerniexx
  • 6 Post By farmalldanzil
  • 2 Post By xxerniexx
  • 4 Post By farmalldanzil
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Strange starting

hello all, my name is Ernie. I have a 2008 VStar 1100 Classic i bought brand new in 2010. only 4 miles on it!
i have almost 9200 miles. Other than letting the battery go low i have never had a problem, let me describe my issue

My battery completely died last week. Wouldn't take a charge from either my battery tender or my large quick change unit.
Ok not bad for a 7-9 year old battery as i never replaced it only recharged it whenever it needed. Fast forward i get a new battery and install it with the permanent leads from the tender, never had these on before, and she started and ran great last night, even went for a couple mile quickie ride.

this morning went out and it was in the 60's (sorry to the northerners, i live in South Florida) so i figured she wouldn't want to start right away, pulled the "choke" a bit and hit the button, she was wanting to start but didn't.
I pushed the start butting again and this time it would stop starting! I pushed the kill switch and it kept trying to start!
Then it stopped, and like an a** I tried again, the same thing happened, chug chug chug, almost wanting to start, but then starting just kept winding, this time it wouldnt stop! i hit the kill switch, kept going, turned the key to off, kept going, removed the key, kept going - finally frantic anf freaking out about burning something up i grabbed my tools and removed the battery!
tried to put the terminals back on and still she went to start! so i left everything undone and defeated i drove to work.

any ideas what this might be?
sorry for the long post and i will updated with pictures later

thanks in advance
ernie
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM

Garage
It sounds like the starter relay is stuck, Check with a ohmmeter, should be open. If closed replace.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

I am really hoping it's something stupid simple that it's just the start button that got stuck. my bike lives outside unfortunately so sometimes i have issues with corrosion on the contacts in the switch housing and ill go to start and get nothing, a few hits of the button usually boom she starts.

i turned all the wrenches on my old '98 Marauder 800 but i have been wary of messing with the VSTAR cause i was making payments!
now that she is all mine and paid for i will be a lot more hands on, i just need to get comfortable with her and learn where everything is and where it goes. i knew the Marauder inside and out.

without sounding noobish, haha, can someone point me in the direction of where the starter relay is incase it isnt my fingers crossed easy fix

i will try to get a video tonight to show what is going on
thanks!
ernie
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
Well if it is a outside bike then yes the starter button may be it. Maybe a touch of WD40 before tacking it apart.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Good afternoon like promised here is a quick video of what is happening
I am at a loss with what is going on.
If i left the battery connected it would just keep doing that. Please i hope someone has an idea

https://youtu.be/rAKx3XWSbcg

Thanks!
Ernie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM

So the starter relay tested OK and you took the switch apart to see if anything was sticking on the inside?
xxerniexx and xxerniexx like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance to test the relay, I don't have an ohmmeter yet
I was hoping it was something simple like the switch b/c she's an outside bike and was really wanting a super easy fix, and was hoping it could get it done tonight so i could ride tomorrow.

After your comment i checked the fuses on the relay unplugged it and touched the terminals and nothing, no chugging from the motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode