Got spark, got fuel, got no start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By NGM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
R T

Got spark, got fuel, got no start

Hey folks, quick history, I bought a 2000 vstar 650 about 6 months ago. It ran great for the first month, the it died on my way to work. Put in the shop( dude had it for 3 months, ridiculous!) finally got it back, he replaced the CDI box and coil pick ups. It seemed to idle a little high, but it ran good for about a week, then died on my way home. I trailered it home and tried to start it, battery quickly died. I assumed battery was bad so I replaced it. Still no start. I checked the spark against the block and got spark, not a fat blue spark, but a orange spark. So I replaced the plugs. No start. So next I assumed fuel issue. The pump clicks when I turn on the key and fuel is getting to the carbs. Pump should be good. So I pulled and cleaned the carbs, they didn't look that bad. I also replaced the fuel and air filters. Still no start. That's where I'm at. I'm no mechanic but I can turn a wrench, as long as I know what to turn! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
On the bright side, my wife is happy I'm in the garage working on it instead of riding it. She worries, that's why this is the first bike I've had in 30 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Try squirting a small amount of oil in the cylinders and spinning the bike over a few (VERY FEW) revolutions to push out excess oil before you put the plugs back in. This is to prevent hydrolocking. Then use a little carb cleaner in the intake to try to start the bike. IF this does not work then check compression.
R T and R T like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
R T

Just got your post, I'll definitely give that a try. I appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM
KCW

Garage
the orange spark sounds suspect. Its one thing to spark in the air, its another to spark in the cylinder with fuel and air moving around. I wish there was something you could put on a spark plug to measure the voltage and current and tell you if its really good or bad.

One other observation, you have messed around with the fuel quite a bit, but have you determined if its getting fuel to the cylinders? Usually if a gas engine wont start I spray some gas into the throttle to see if it fires. This is sketchy because the choke and gas has to be within a small range for the engine to fire. Have you tried cranking it then pulling a plug to see if its wet/flooded?

compression is another possibility, I have a gauge, not sure if there is a simple and safe test for compression if you dont have one. It would be very strange for compression to just stop and the bike to quit like that though.

Last edited by KCW; 02-20-2017 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
did you use an oem yamaha pick up coil, the 20 dollar ones are junk half of em have the wires reversed from the manufacturer, the oem one on 650 is made by mitsubishi. their pretty expensive but are made much better, if i were you i,d ohms test it again, the 650 doesn't use a CDI ignition it uses a TCI, transistor controlled and they rarely ever fail on 650s

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 02-20-2017 at 06:37 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
R T

Hey guys , just got home and read your replies, thanks to both of you for your input. KCW , that orange spark bothers me too,I'm wondering if the coils may be bad. I thought about shooting a little starting fluid into the air box, but I wasn't sure if the was a good idea for a motorcycle. pauli466, I have no idea what kind of pick up the guy used, could very well be a cheap one. On the receipt the goofy yahoo wrote "replaced CDI box" . If he couldn't even get the nomenclature right, who knows what he did. I'll definitely re-check the pick ups. In fact I've been reading up on how to check the whole electrical system, so that's what I'm going to do. Unfortunately, I can't do anything until this weekend, so I'll let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode