Check Engine Light Vstar 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By keith63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Check Engine Light Vstar 950

Hello, I was out riding yesterday and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and code "24" is showing on the odometer. The bike seemed to ride fine and from my research this is most likely related to the O2 sensor. Can someone please confirm? Also, is there a guide on how to change it out? Bike is a 2012 Vstar 950 with freedom performance exhaust, cobra fuel tuner, and intake. It has almost 16,000 miles.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
What kind of Cobra fuel tuner, does it have the O2 connection? Check all FMS connections, and then disconnect the battery (negative terminal) for several minutes. Does the engine light go away? Sometimes it could be just an intermittent fault.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 AM

Garage
I have a 2009 950 and I also have a Cobra fi 2000 fuel tuner on my bike. I have the unit that does not use the 02 unit (it does not have a plug for it) in the tuner. My check engine light comes on with the "code 24" while I am driving. I have researched it and have come up with following information after many hours of reading, talking to several Yamaha wrenches and telephone calls to techs at COBRA:
1. If you have a Yamaha model that came out stock with a 02 unit in its exhaust system and it is not used, you will get a code.
2. A code 24 in the above situation is caused by the ECU is looking for input from the 02 unit to monitor the fuel/air ratio and several other things. The lack of the input (or electrical current), will cause the ECU to send the code to you to tell you that your 02 unit is signaling that something is wrong the signal it is receiving (a no signal to a "above" normal signal).
3. While driving, when our bike puts a code 24 on the system, the ECU will input a temporary signal (or current) to satisfy the computer so that it can continue to accomplish the mission of making the bike run (this is referred to as default operation).

I would recommend you accomplish the following action:

1. find out which Cobra fi 2000 fuel tuner you have. You can determine this by checking your bike. To do this, lay down next to your bike on the right side next to the exhaust. About 6 inch behind the floor board will be a 1/2" diameter plug will be coming out of the exhaust pipe perpendicular to it with 2 wires coming out of it that is going to your motorcycle frame where it is plugged into the wiring harness. You need to verify that this wire is going straight to the plug in on your motorcycle. If it is not plugged in, then you have the same fuel tuner that I have. If it is plugged in and have several extra wiring plugs in-between the 02 sensor and the motorcycle frame, you have the COBRA fie 2000 02 fuel tuner. (this model uses the 02 sensor for input.)
2. If you have the COBRA fi 2000 fuel tuner that does not use the 02 sensor, then you will have a life of looking at the orange light.
3. If you have the COBRA fi 2000 fuel tuner that uses the 02 sensor, you have a legimate fault that you need to trouble shoot.

Please post which model of fuel tuner you have and we can go from here.

"Dance like this is the last dance "
2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Windshield; Clevver; V&H exhaust.; Highway bar
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

or do the troubleshooting as outlined in the service guide shown above

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyboltz View Post
2. If you have the COBRA fi 2000 fuel tuner that does not use the 02 sensor, then you will have a life of looking at the orange light.
Not so
Oxygen lambda o2 sensor eliminator Yamaha xvs 950 A midnight star you can get these I have the tuner that doesnt use the O2 sensor and this is the plug that stops the code 24
ebay is your friend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XVS...oAAOSw65FXsIcu
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Last edited by keith63; 02-23-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode