Low Fuel Warning Light - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Low Fuel Warning Light

Just got a 2016 1300 tourer and according to the manual, the light should come on once the fuel level falls below aprox. 1 gallon. I've noticed that mine comes on once the level falls below aprox 1.5 gallons. Is this the norm for this bike?

Serving Him by serving others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Garage
Does it come on when the bike is upright or in a leaning curve. Mine only comes on somewhere around 1 gallon. But keep in mind they are a simple float switch and will vary from bike to bike.
chedobean and chedobean like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 AM

Mine hits at 1.1 to 1.2 gallons and almost always takes about 3.8 gallons to fill up the tank give or take a tenth of a gallon on my 2009 1300 Tourer.

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys; sounds like mine is working as it should. Like merc669, both times I've filled up so far, took 3.5 gals the first time and 3.2 the second and checking milage last time, I got the stated 42 miles per gal. I keep records and see how it does on my trip to Fla. tomorrow. Probably nothing to worry about.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Elk

Mine is about the same, but I still treat it like I only have 1 gallon left, just to be safe.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Garage
Honestly never paid that much attention. Mine comes on after about 150 miles (2007 XVS1300) and I've always assumed I've got about a gallon left. Usually able to stop pretty quickly thereafter. Typically takes 3.5 gallons to fill it up from when the light comes on.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 PM

I just got my new 1300T a week or so ago. I noticed that my 'Fuel' warning light came on but a few miles later when I filled it, it only took 3 gallons so maybe mine has premature notification

Just 36 mpg on the first tank but a lot was stop and go on country roads, with a little bit of city and Interstate thrown in and anywhere from 50 to 70 mph speeds, under light throttle.

Sam
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Garage
I know fuel mpg on m/cycles can fluctuate. Especially if the temperature varies a lot during the day/week. Dealing with such a small tank, riding style, temperature, engine tuning, what time of day you fill up and how long you ride on that tank, etc. , etc. It can vary a lot.

I don't know.

I believe my 950 gets 48 mpg at best average. But I've calculated 42 and 52 on different occasions.

All that being said, my low fuel light comes on earlier than it "should" sometimes. (And I'm thankful for that when I need a pee stop on a long highway. Ha!)

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
arby and arby like this.

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.

Last edited by YamaMassGirl; 03-03-2017 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I just got my new 1300T a week or so ago. I noticed that my 'Fuel' warning light came on but a few miles later when I filled it, it only took 3 gallons so maybe mine has premature notification

Just 36 mpg on the first tank but a lot was stop and go on country roads, with a little bit of city and Interstate thrown in and anywhere from 50 to 70 mph speeds, under light throttle.

Sam
On mine I've noticed that the if the fuel light comes on near the end of a longer ride and I park it without refilling, the light often doesn't come back when I restart it the next time for maybe another 10 miles or so, and it THEN takes about the usual amount to refill.

Maybe leaning the bike on the stand re-activates the sensor and it takes a bit to 're-trigger'? Just struck me a couple times.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok, on the trip down, I've filled up 7 times. Average fillup was 3.2 gallons and average milage before fillup was 141. Avg. gas milage down was about 44 MPG. I can live with that. So based on that, I know that I have at least 40 miles before I start to panic. (like last night when the light came on during a dark lonely stretch on Fla. Rt.301. It was seven or eight miles before I saw anything that even resembled civilization...hehehe.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode