Rear shock adjustment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Rear shock adjustment

I am not ready to spend $590 CAD for a Progressive shock yet. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a spanner for adjusting the preload on the stock rear shock? I haven't been able to locate one and thought I would ask you guys. It's a 2000 Vstar 1100 Classic. Damn bike nearly bucks me off when I hit a bump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM

v star 1100 shock tool | eBay

...or do what I did, just use a ChannelLock pliers....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sick Mick. I was concerned that I may crush the adjustment ring with a channel lock. I will give that a whirl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
KCW

Garage
It doesnt take much to turn the adjustment

look in your little storage space, you might have a factory took kit with a wrench that fits

your manual will tell you which number to set it to for total rider weight, it might have been left set up for two riders.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 02:25 PM

The 1100 shock is pretty much toast around 20,000 miles or so. There's a point at which it doesn;t matter what you set it at, there's not enough left in the shock to make much difference.

Just to let you know, the Progressive shock will give you a huge handling upgrade. It has to be one of the 2 best things I've ever done to mine.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootzee View Post
I am not ready to spend $590 CAD for a Progressive shock yet. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a spanner for adjusting the preload on the stock rear shock? I haven't been able to locate one and thought I would ask you guys. It's a 2000 Vstar 1100 Classic. Damn bike nearly bucks me off when I hit a bump.
what number is set to now, it's probably at 7 if it's rides that hard, i think 3 is oem setting. for a single rider under 200 lbs 3 is seems ok for me, put in different positions until find the one you like best, wear a glove when you turn the adjuster even with the oem tool it slips and smashes your hand sometimes, i learned the hard way smacking my hand the first time i tried to adjust it, here's a link that shows the two types of shocks on the 1100 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...48747831,d.eWE if the linkage is binding from rust it will make it seem like the shock is adjusted to hard, check the links before adjusting, have someone bounce the bike while you watch the links move

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-04-2017 at 08:27 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

It's set at 2 I think. My plan is to set it at 4 or 5. I'm 6' at 230 lbs. The rear shock works well, I just need to stiffen it up a little. Bike has only 3700 kilometers on it. Bike itself, has sat since 2005 before I revived it in September of 2016.

About my original question, I did locate the OEM tool bag, and yes, it has the adjustor in it ( I feel like an idiot for not even checking). The tool bag also looks like I was the first to remove it. I will be spending some time in the garage tomorrow to do the adjustments.

Thanks for the info Paulie. IF the shock isn't satisfactory after adjusting it, I will buy a Progressive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
KCW

Garage
FYI, at least on my 650 if you pack the OEM tool kit correctly it kinda snaps into place in the storage space.

Keeps it from clattering around in there.

Yamaha put a lot of thought into this stuff.

I only had to adjust the spring tension adjustment one or two clicks on my 650. The previous owner was about 50 lbs lighter than me, and the rear would bottom out on large 'bumps' in the road (for lack of a better word). If you crank it up too far the back wheel will leave the ground on said bumps.

Last edited by KCW; 03-05-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode