1300T Windshield too high? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

1300T Windshield too high?

I will start out by saying that I'm 6ft-5in tall.

I get my height from the Butt up so I sit fairly high when I ride.

I can barely see over the stock windshield that came on my bike, more less the industry standard of 50 feet ahead to ground level as looking over the top of a windshield. The screen measures 23 1/4 inch from the top of the headlight cut-out to the top of the screen. To be correct as in the aforementioned distance looking over the screen to the 50 foot point, it looks like it should be about 4 inches shorter

I've had a lot of bikes with their stock shields and put on a lot of them on other bikes and I've never seen one come stock with one so high. This would be dangerous for anyone shorter as they would be forced to always look through the shield, which is a no-no.

The thing also causes buffeting worse than a group of Baptist at the Buffet line! It can actually blur my vision at over 65 mph or so.

I apparently will have to cut it down to size but I think that I shouldn't have to do this to a new bike.

I'm open to comments please.

Thanks!

Sam
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Garage
Hi Sam, since you mentioned your bike is new, can you see if the dealership can swap it out for a shorter one? I agree that it appears to be pretty high with you being 6' 5" tall. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Keith, I called the Service Manager at the dealer where I bought the bike and explained the situation to him and he said he'd check with parts and see what was available etc. He said that the windshield gets shipped with the bike and he doesn't know if there is a option when the order the bikes as far a scree height goes. The dealer is 586 miles from my home

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Garage
I understand, that is a good distance away. Maybe another member will come up with an idea. Please keep us updated. I sold my factory tall windshield on my 950 tourer and went with a fairing and a much shorter windshield. Much better wind deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep everyone up to date on what happens.

By the way, I really like the 950T and had a deal set up to buy a used one in Poplar Bluff, MO but decided I wanted a warranty and bought new instead. I had ridden the 1300 back in about 2010 and liked it but bought a new Suzuki 1800cc Cruiser, the C109R instead! It was parked in a Mall parking lot not long after I bought it when a guy driving a big semi just ran over the whole bike and totaled it

Sam
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I'll keep everyone up to date on what happens.

By the way, I really like the 950T and had a deal set up to buy a used one in Poplar Bluff, MO but decided I wanted a warranty and bought new instead. I had ridden the 1300 back in about 2010 and liked it but bought a new Suzuki 1800cc Cruiser, the C109R instead! It was parked in a Mall parking lot not long after I bought it when a guy driving a big semi just ran over the whole bike and totaled it

Sam
You do know the 950T windshield will fit out factory mounts. You might try getting one off of ebay, also keep an eye on here. Guys seem to jet their factory windshields for fairing often.

2014 V star 1300 tourer (New Baby)
2014 Bolt- Traded
2006 Road Star 1700- Traded
2003 Honda VLX 600
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:42 PM

Garage
The 1300T comes with the tallest windshield. They also have other sizes. These guys www.ceebaileys.com and www.clearviewshields.com/ have customized windshields that fit the OEM brackets. and are better than the Yamaha shields

Also https://www.shopyamaha.com/accessories you can buy different sizes of the OEM shieids.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Baron! I'll check it out before I do elective surgery to my Baby!

Where in Kansas? I'm riding into SE Kansas all the time.

Sam
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I will start out by saying that I'm 6ft-5in tall.

I get my height from the Butt up so I sit fairly high when I ride.

I can barely see over the stock windshield that came on my bike, more less the industry standard of 50 feet ahead to ground level as looking over the top of a windshield. The screen measures 23 1/4 inch from the top of the headlight cut-out to the top of the screen. To be correct as in the aforementioned distance looking over the screen to the 50 foot point, it looks like it should be about 4 inches shorter

I've had a lot of bikes with their stock shields and put on a lot of them on other bikes and I've never seen one come stock with one so high. This would be dangerous for anyone shorter as they would be forced to always look through the shield, which is a no-no.

The thing also causes buffeting worse than a group of Baptist at the Buffet line! It can actually blur my vision at over 65 mph or so.

I apparently will have to cut it down to size but I think that I shouldn't have to do this to a new bike.

I'm open to comments please.

Thanks!

Sam
Funny how everyone has their own experiences... I have a 2007 1300 with the tall windshield. I'm 6'0" and find that if I sit up nice and straight I see over it, but if I slouch/relax a bit I'm looking through it. Despite that being a "no-no", it doesn't bug me when I do (OTOH, I'm a warm/dry-weather daytime rider - aka wimp - which mitigates any 'issues' I think). I CAN always just sit up and look over it if need be. YMMV of course. Just interesting that at 6'5 you don't see over it.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

"I can barely see over the stock windshield that came on my bike---."

As I said, I can see over it if I sit up as straight as a framing 2x4 but my experience and preference tells me that it is at least 3 inches to tall.

If I 'slouch' at all when I ride then my line of vision is interrupted by the very top of the screen. I do slouch and certainly don't sit bolt upright all the time.

Aftermarket windshield vendors tell you on their websites to sit normally as you ride your bike and looking over the top of your screen, you should see the ground at the 50 foot point.

It CAN be very dangerous to have to look through the screen due to bugs, road grime, distortion etc-etc. If a bunch of bug guts doesn't allow you to see a big pot-hole or a 4x4 or shovel in the road then it could be catastrophic.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode