• 2 Post By Hinson
  • 2 Post By mikearc095
  • 2 Post By Hinson
  • 4 Post By baron58
  • 2 Post By arby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

New Pipes

Ok, that did it!! When I got to my sister's house in Fla. last weekend, she mentioned that she liked my bike better than the others in the area because mine was "so quiet." Well that just can't be. New pipes are definitely needed. First; are the baffles in the 2016 1300 tourer removable. If not, suggestions as to full pipes versus slip-ons. I'm looking for something louder than stock but not ear-splitting. Any suggestions?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Serving Him by serving others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
I bought the cobra slip on, louder than stock but won't bother the neighbors. Unless you have an unlimited budget, slipons are much less than full exhaust. With the full exhaust on these yammy motors , you'll lose some torque. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Definitely looking for the cheaper way out. I drilled out the baffles on my 1100. sounded nice but lots of popping. Not sure I want to go this route wth teh 1300. Slipons probably best. Thanks for the comment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Garage
Hinson,
I will be interested to find out how you like the slip on ones if that is what you wind up with. I thought about them however I wound up going with the Cobra Speedster Slashdown Exhausts. It did take a bit of getting used to but I really like them. Don't have to wonder if they can hear me now.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
I paid $185 for the cobra slip on with free shipping, and full exhaust was $600-$800, just couldn't justify paying that kind of money.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Keith: that begs the question; are is the Cobra setup $185 louder than the OEM.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinson View Post
Keith: that begs the question; are is the Cobra setup $185 louder than the OEM.
The cobra slip on is significantly louder than the OEM. Many guys complain that the Cobra slip on is too loud! I actually like it, not loud like a Harley but you won't sneak up on anyone. I Had the slashdowns and went back to the Cobra slip on, too much low end torque lost with the slash downs. The so called cobra "power port" between them doesn't act like a 2 into 1 as they claim. Now if you want looks and power, the cobra full 2 into 1 is a nice setup.

The slashdowns are loud but I find the slip on has a bigger beefier tone.

Tons of youtube videos of before and after with various cobra exhaust systems

Right now I have the Cobra Slip on, and am very happy.

Also with the stock muffler removed, you will here all the loud popping and backfiring the stock muffler hid due to the factory lean mixture. So the only way to fix that is to add a fuel tuner, or even better get the ECU re-flashed by Ivan's Performance products.

Just a word of warning if you decide the get the ECU re-flashed, the bike will ride and run significantly different since the ignition timing, fuel mapping, throttle mapping and fuel cut have been changed. This means the bike will run BETTER in every way imaginable.

Do you need it , no. But the cost of the re-flash is about the same or a tad less than a fuel tuner, and it it fixes all the EPA crap that makes the bike not run as it should.

But if you change from the factory exhaust, slip on or full, you will have the backfiring and popping and the only way to stop it is with a fuel tuner, or the ECU flash.

Last edited by baron58; 03-12-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Garage
Hinson, the cobra slip on is louder than stock, but not offensive in my opinion. It has a deep throaty tone to it.
Baron58 is correct, I had minimal popping after the cobra slip on install. Once I added the fuel processor, the popping all but went away.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
The cobra slip on is significantly louder than the OEM. Many guys complain that the Cobra slip on is too loud! I actually like it, not loud like a Harley but you won't sneak up on anyone. I Had the slashdowns and went back to the Cobra slip on, too much low end torque lost with the slash downs. The so called cobra "power port" between them doesn't act like a 2 into 1 as they claim. Now if you want looks and power, the cobra full 2 into 1 is a nice setup.

The slashdowns are loud but I find the slip on has a bigger beefier tone.

Tons of youtube videos of before and after with various cobra exhaust systems

Right now I have the Cobra Slip on, and am very happy.

Also with the stock muffler removed, you will here all the loud popping and backfiring the stock muffler hid due to the factory lean mixture. So the only way to fix that is to add a fuel tuner, or even better get the ECU re-flashed by Ivan's Performance products.

Just a word of warning if you decide the get the ECU re-flashed, the bike will ride and run significantly different since the ignition timing, fuel mapping, throttle mapping and fuel cut have been changed. This means the bike will run BETTER in every way imaginable.

Do you need it , no. But the cost of the re-flash is about the same or a tad less than a fuel tuner, and it it fixes all the EPA crap that makes the bike not run as it should.

But if you change from the factory exhaust, slip on or full, you will have the backfiring and popping and the only way to stop it is with a fuel tuner, or the ECU flash.
I'm late to the party.

I had the Slashdowns on my '07 VTX 1300 S.

I bought Monster baffles from Big City Thunder.

Mounted them per instructions, 6'' into the pipes.

Made the sound deeper, and vastly improved low end torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode