Love the look of the Vmax - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Love the look of the Vmax

I'm currently a rider of a Vstar 1100 and have always wanted a Vmax.
I know when it comes to power they excel but you only use it if you can handle it, in my opinion.
What has me curious is the maneuverability and balance of this awesome machine for a 65 year old somewhat novice bike rider.
Your comments advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

depends on the 65yr old. if you're 65 and a self-proclaimed "novice bike rider", i say you probably shouldn't ride one. that much bike is too much for most people. it has a clocked 0-60mph time of 2.7 seconds and has clocked a 1/4 mile time of 9.74 seconds.

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewth...8&pagenumber=6

http://www.starvmax.com/forum/17-gen...-60--0-120-mph

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Vmax admirer

Thanks for advice and know deep down you are probably correct.
Darn it though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Smile v max

Hello Shaker.

I just traded a 10 second bike in two weeks ago and im 53 years old, my fz1 was a blast. If you feel froggy go for it , you can only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

fastnadit
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

You control it

How true Fastbandit!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Love the look of the Vmax

Hey Shaker, like you, I've always loved that beefy powerful look of the vmax. However, I know only two options would eventually happen if I rode one. It would either mean an early grave or I would get in a lot of trouble. It's hard to have that capability and use it at least sometimes! Good luck with your choice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Know what you mean!

Thanks Steve.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
depends on the 65yr old. if you're 65 and a self-proclaimed "novice bike rider", i say you probably shouldn't ride one. that much bike is too much for most people. it has a clocked 0-60mph time of 2.7 seconds and has clocked a 1/4 mile time of 9.74 seconds.
If you ever have the thought of wanting a V Max, check the insurance rates, then if you REALLY want one, move forward after that LOL!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
If you ever have the thought of wanting a V Max, check the insurance rates, then if you REALLY want one, move forward after that LOL!
Old post I know but it simply is not true, with State Farm Insurance at least. The new Vmax is rated by cc just like any other cruiser motorcycle - it is not classified as a sport bike. The Vmax is on the same scale as any other 1700cccruiser motorcycle out there. I currently own a 2010 Vmax and owned a 2005 Warrior before that.

Go make some new disaster. Thats what I am counting on.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker View Post
Thanks for advice and know deep down you are probably correct.
Darn it though!
Hold up.

In terms of your skill level, where you are today is only where you will be tomorrow if you choose to stay put. A V-max, like any bike, has a clutch, shifter, front and rear brakes, throttle, handlebar and...you...for controls. It has two wheels and is rear drive. The only difference is what it CAN do vs. your skill and experience level.

I think EVERYONE should learn to ride on a dirt bike. Before taking to the street. Take a spill or two. Learn how the thing works, why it works, learn all the basic skills, friction zone, dragging rear brake for slow speed maneuvers, figure 8's, circles, cone weave, all of that.

Presuming you are past that and a regular street rider, 'somewhat novice' says to me time to go take an intermediate class and get sharp on the basics and reach the point where you consider yourself a solid intermediate. To me, that means you have the confidence in your riding skills that you could ride ANY street bike, properly and competently, right off the lot. That's not to say you can wring the thing out but, handle it. Stay within your skill set. Try and ride as many different bikes as possibly. Buddies, demo days, dealers that have a solid demo program.

I think EVERYONE should strive for at least that level of skill and competence.

From there, pick what you like, including a V-max and go ride that thing!

My first street bike was a Hayabusa. Knowing what it could do, being a little older, being honest about my skill level, having started on dirt bikes, I was nervous but, I knew I could handle it. Totally inappropriate bike for me but, not because it was some sort of magic beast trying to kill me but, simply ergonomics and riding style.

Work on your skills, always, sez I, regardless of whether you ride a V-Max or a 250 cc Shadow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode