Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Starter button relocation

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Joeellltt 
#1 ·
Now I know some of you have done this, and I see it quite often on bobber builds. Hoping for those who have experience with this can chime in and share some tips/how to's. I'd like to relocate the starter switch/button to a different location. How easy/difficult is it to do? and will that mean that I lose the kill switch function?

#2 · (Edited)
You can move it any place you want....it's easy to do if you understand automotive wiring basics. Buy a switch....mount it....run the wires to it. Same with the kill switch. Study the wiring diagram......solder and shrink tube all of the connections.

#3 ·
Ok awesome, I kinda figured it's just a matter of having basic electrical knowledge but wanted to make sure. I appreciate the quick reply Mick! It was actually a comment of yours I read a while ago about having it in a "secret location" that got me wanting to so this lol

#6 ·
#7 ·
I did a full handlebar switch deletion on my 85 shadow vt500 bobber. It has the same headlight off when starter button is pressed feature that most bikes use.

I jumped out my kill switch and ran a 5 pin relay throught the headlight circuit and through the momentary button that I used.

So when the key is turned on and i hit the button, the head light shuts off and the motor starts.

I also have the head light switch wired through a ON/OFF/ON toggle. hi/off/low beam.
If you do this you won't need a 5 pin relay. Just remeber to leave the headlight off during startups. I have mine wired through both so I don't need to worry about weather or not the head light switch is off.

You key becomes your kill switch like mine is. Basically the kill switch is not needed.

Here's my bobber, which is currently for sale.

#8 ·
I never used a relay on the start button on my 1100....been there for almost 5 years and no issues. It's already wired through a relay so there is really no need for a second one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.