Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

TPS adjustment v star 1100

18K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bkirwan 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 v star 1100 custom, pods, dyna ignition, and I get the clunk sometimes when I start it if I give it more choke than it needs and it normally clunks loud when I kill it (I am starting it correctly). It eventually twists the bolts on the starter motor.

I want to check the tps to make sure everything is in spec because from what i've read that is the likely culprit. However, I can't seem to get a reading when I try to measure the resistance. I've never used a multimeter before, so I'm guessing I'm the problem.

Can someone tell me how to get a reading? I've read in the manual what to touch to which wire, but I can never get a reading. On the wiki page it says not to stick something larger than a pin in the connector under the seat, but I don't even know what I would stick a pin too. I have tried touching the the metal part sticking up corresponding to the wire, but I can not get a reading from that. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

#3 ·
So I got the aligator clips and same result. When I say I can't get a reading, I mean I never get a reading, not like I do now and then but can't keep the pins on it. I tested the aligator clips on a battery and they work. So it's not the multimeter or clips. The meter always reads -1, which is what it does when I short it together. When I put it on 2000k ohms I can get a reading of 100, and sometimes it fluctuates to 300 but I think that is just because it's not a very expensive multimeter.

I included some pictures of how I hooked it up incase I'm doing something wrong.

Could the tps be shot, but my bike is still running alright because I have a dyna 3000?

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
ok i'm not great with electronics,i bought a cheap meter from harbor fr, which i broke trying to plug in the leads,then went to lowes and paid $30.00 for a decent meter.plus aligator clips.the instructions i had were not the best so,plug the black lead into the common hole and the red lead into the v-ohm hole, and set the dial to 200 ohms,then using the under tank three pin plug follow the instructions in the wiki.i myself used clymers so there may be differences..i may be giving you bad advice,you said you have the dyna ignition i dont know how that acts with the tps ?

#5 ·
Meter

Looks like you are looking at the correct half of the connector. But be sure you are not looking back at the igniter unit.

I believe you are using to great a range on the meter. You need a range of 1K Ohms or 2K Ohms to read 700 Ohms. The 3,000 Ohms reading use no higher than 10K Ohms. The K is an abbreviation for thousand. The 2000K range would actually be 2 million Ohms full scale.

Be sure there can be no Voltage on the leads you are checking. The -1 reading could mean over range.

Dave

#6 ·
When you touch the leads together you should get a reading of ZERO. Ohms is a measurement of resistance. When you touch the two leads directly there is no resistance in that circuit and therefore your scale should read zero. Anything different from that and you need to first get your meter correct. And like linerdave said, make sure you are on the igniter side of the plug

#7 ·
What I means is 2000K is the only setting where it does not read -1, I have tried all of the other settings and all it reads is -1. And I'm looking at the side of the plug that leads to the tps on the carb.

When I touch the leads together it reads -1. This is the second multimeter I've used, the first was from amazon and did the same thing, the second from harbor freight. It seemed unlikely that both would be bad but I'm gonna go to home depot and pick up a nicer one like Nick said and try again.

#8 ·
Are you sure you have the leads plugged into the correct port on the tester itself. Yes it does seem odd that multiple testers would be consistently incorrect. I'm not great with one and use it so rarely that I usually have to check myself to make sure I'm using it correctly.
There are tests you can do on both sides of the plug. One checks resistance between the igniter unit and the tps and the other checks the resistance of the sensor itself. Make sure you are using the correct test at the correct time.
I had a fight with my TPS once before too.:) Keep at it and you will get it.

#11 ·
Glad to hear. Did it seem to help the issue?

#12 ·
I think so. I started it up and shut it off three times and each time it seemed to start much better and no more loud clunk on shut off. And it seemed to allow me to remove the choke with less warm up time.

However, before sometimes it would not clunk on shutdown and it was warmer last night than normal, so they all could be due to coincidence like my 2 broken multimeters.

I will repost after a few rides so I can get a real idea of how much it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.