Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Pain in the neck!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jack 2bad 
#1 ·
Sometimes when riding after a couple of hours the right side my neck and upper back start aching. I use a throttle lock as much as possible to rest the throttle side arm and shoulder. I also have 2" bar backs so I'm not over reaching. Anyone else experience this?

#2 ·
You and me both brother! In fact, if I know I'm going to be riding more than an hour, I go ahead and start the ibuprofen and even wear and icey-hot patch...and I'll still ache the next day. I have a cramp buster and that really helps my hand but the spot you described hurts no matter what I do. I'll be watching this thread.

#4 ·
Yeah, I've got a backrest also, but with my 29" inseam, I could use a couple more inches of padding on the rest to take full advantage of that...but that's for my lower back. I don't feel like I'm reaching too far on the handle bars...feels very natural when I grab hold...but when I check myself out in the reflection of windows (yeah, we all do it) it kind of looks like maybe I am. I had this same problem on my V-Star 950 and I know the reach was less on that bike. Just wondering what I can do different.

#5 ·
I don't really get it that bad. I did buy a set of 2" risers with 1" pull back and that helped a lot. Also, the angle of your hands when you reach for the grips has a lot to do with it. To keep my reservoir level actually caused me numbness and pain in my hands to my shoulders. I tilted the bars down considerably and have not had any more problems. The reservoir is not level anymore but as long as you have enough fluid in it so no air gets in the lines you will be just fine. Try adjusting your handlebar angle just a little and see.

#6 ·
It sounds like your stretching for the bars. Try what Chaplain stated or try some pull back risers.I put some on mine and it helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.