Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Vstar help xvs650a classic no spark

29K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  sipseyriverlover 
#1 ·
Hello Vstar riders. My 2003 vstar xvs650a classic. I went to start it and it turn over and herd the the cylinder fire once and then no sparks after that. I have searched the internet wide for schematics and troubleshooting etc. I have a question and really need someone who knows this bike. No sparks!

I have gone thru fuses connectors checking changing plugs checking for sparks with pluf out and grounded etc.. No spark. Now as I understand the schematics as I'm an electronics tech but not very mechanical. The safety switches including the kill switch does two things .one is opens the firing circuit. And opens the starter circuit .

So if any of the safety switches are bad number one the bike will not even turn the starter. So if the bike will turn the engine then all the safety switches are good. So ruling out plugs switches connectors and even measuring stator at 1.5 ohms on any of the three pins.that's all good.. Checked firing coils and voltage to them.good

The question is the three main components cdi. computer and pickup coil. On all models I have seen the pickup coil should read about 120 to 250 ohms on 2004 and higher years. And the pickup coils for those years are a cheap part on eBay like 20 to 25 us dollars (STATOR PICKUP COIL FITS YAMAHA V-STAR CLASSIC XVS650 2004 2005 2006 07 08 09 10 | eBay) BUT a 2003 pickup coil is very high priced - like over 70 and up to 180 dollars from ricks sports and guy on ebay said it wont fit my 2003 and I can not find out the ohms it should read because the links are dead . http://www.650ccnd.com/coil.htm i am wondering if a 2003 pickup coil is not a coil like the later models but a hall sensor. Or if it is a coil why is IT so high and its information is so elusive:) sorry for dragging this out. Any helps please.I really want my bike back and don't want to spend money on parts like the 2003 pick up coil that's so expensive when I might be able to use the cheaper one. And defiantly cant afford a computer 500 bucks or cdi 400 if I don't have to.

inding answers is illusive as the link I need so bad is dead.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
One thing that happens on these bikes, esp after sitting over the winter, the battery will have enough power to spin the starter, but the voltage will be too low for the spark plugs to fire.

Its hard to put a voltage level on the battery while its cranking above or below which you are go/no-go for it to start.

If you have owned the bike for a while you will know if its sounds like its cranking at its normal speed, or if its cranking slow. It doesnt take much of a droop in the battery for this to happen. In fact it nearly always happens when the battery it at the end of its life. The starter will crank, but the spark wont fire.

If you can charge the battery up, or jump start it from another battery that will answer the question.

Or if you cant jump start the bike, charge it up if you can, then push the bike down a bit of a slope in neutral, with the ignition key on and the kill switch set to run (gas and choke on) - get the bike up to about 15 to 20mph, clutch in , shift up to 2nd, and let the clutch out like you normally would when shifting.

Without the starter spinning the battery will have enough voltage to fire the spark plugs.

If the bike starts, you need a new battery.

If you jump start it or push start it and it still wont start, then yes you have a spark issue.

#13 ·
One thing that happens on these bikes, esp after sitting over the winter, the battery will have enough power to spin the starter, but the voltage will be too low for the spark plugs to fire.

Its hard to put a voltage level on the battery while its cranking above or below which you are go/no-go for it to start.

If you have owned the bike for a while you will know if its sounds like its cranking at its normal speed, or if its cranking slow. It doesnt take much of a droop in the battery for this to happen. In fact it nearly always happens when the battery it at the end of its life. The starter will crank, but the spark wont fire.

If you can charge the battery up, or jump start it from another battery that will answer the question.

Or if you cant jump start the bike, charge it up if you can, then push the bike down a bit of a slope in neutral, with the ignition key on and the kill switch set to run (gas and choke on) - get the bike up to about 15 to 20mph, clutch in , shift up to 2nd, and let the clutch out like you normally would when shifting.

Without the starter spinning the battery will have enough voltage to fire the spark plugs.

If the bike starts, you need a new battery.

If you jump start it or push start it and it still wont start, then yes you have a spark issue.
Stator

#3 ·
Thanks for replying. Actually this happened last summer . I took a road trip to Maggie valley and it was a new bike for me .I just got it a few months earlier in 2016. I rose it for 2000 miles no problems and when I got home the next day I went out to start it and it popped like it qaa going to fire and from then on I had no spark. The battery is new and like I said I'm an electronics tech so I followed the flow chart in the repair manual and I'm lost as its not the exact year manual for 2003 . Ita a 2004 and as I said the parts for a 2004 are different than a 2003

#5 ·
I really need someone who has this bike and is experienced with the electrical system . see if a 2003 pickup is a coil like the rest if the years then I guess it can open or short .if its a hall effect sensor then will read different than what I was told about the 2004 thru 2010 bike sensors. I really have done a lot of test on it . I also have a pocket scope . if there is a motorcycle tech here that knows what signals come from what pins on the computer when that sensor reads the magnets I could narrow it down . I can also tell you that if my pickup coil reads about 1.5 k ohms . if it a coils then that reading says its bad BUT with the sensor connected to the AC volts setting and in turn the motor over it will generate about .3 volts ac. Not quite a half a volt. See it does out voltage but is it what the computer is looking for to signal the cdi to fire the coils for spark? I really need to know from another bike what is the voltage from the pickup coil supposed to be??

#6 ·
Fixed it this summer .i got a bike stand and took it a part after ordering an unsure 20 dollar pick up coil from ebay. I spliced and soldered the part in which looks exactly like the one in it. Put it together and it fired off . So happy to ride again. And after all the troubleshooting a simple coil of wire stopped it dead dead dead.. btw the 2004 thru 2010 sensor is the same one for a 2003 xvs 650 after the guy said it wouldn't work and i needed to buy the 2003 one for 79 dollars. Only difference it had a connector on the wires and the 20 dollar one don't . And it measures 200 ohms too and works great.

#8 ·
glad to hear you got it running and got to do it without spending a lot.

I noticed you were not getting a lot of help from posters on this. Problems like this are hard to debug on a forum, you really got to get in there in person like you did and work it out.

You got a great bike there.

#11 ·
Thanks for your reply.
I do not understand what you are saying : you need to add more jigawatts to the spinning magnometer inductfluction coils, Is this taken from " Back to the future " ;)
I have measured the two lead to the pickup coil located under the fuel tank and I get the 82 Ohms reading.

Søren Thomsen ,Denmark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.