Texan on an 01 Roadstar 1600 Silverado - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Texan on an 01 Roadstar 1600 Silverado

Hello forum, I recently purchased this bike from my step father, not mechanically inclined, and it seems the PO has done some things and lost some bolts and this bike is a nightmare of little Gremlins. I've read and re-read a thousand posts of technical info but I haven't been able to narrow down the issue. I'm hoping to eventually get her purring like a kitten. She does run, at first I believed excellent, but she ran even better after I opened her up one day and blew out the dirt dobbers..... I regularly ride her an hour and a half one way to work and back and the more I ride her the more little things I find. My main issue is pop on decel. Difficulty cold starting as well. And how do you ride with a windshield if the weather is foggy or rainy? I am completely new to road bikes, I have ridden many but this is my first one to own. Looking forward to hearing from you all and sharing what I can to help out. Also I am in another group called RCC for Dodge ram chargers, they meet every once in a while for wrench sessions if you're nearby. Anything like that here?

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 PM

What part of Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Livingston

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy0852 View Post
Livingston

Ah ok I'm in north dallas

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum bullboy. Nice looking roadie! Be sure to ask your questions in the Vstar section. As far as meeting for wrench sessions you'll need to check for regional groups of riders in your area to see. Fortunately our forum has some great 'wrenchers' so I'm sure you'll get the answers you seek. Keep us updated on locating those pesky gremlins and ride safely!

bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Welcome to the forum bullboy. Nice looking roadie! Be sure to ask your questions in the Vstar section. As far as meeting for wrench sessions you'll need to check for regional groups of riders in your area to see. Fortunately our forum has some great 'wrenchers' so I'm sure you'll get the answers you seek. Keep us updated on locating those pesky gremlins and ride safely!

I haven't located any tech section or vstar section, that was the first thing I looked for.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Garage
That's a pretty long commute you have there. Glad you joined the forum. Hope you get 'er runnin' perfect with that much time you'll spend in the saddle!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

It is a long ride in the truck after a 12 hour shift, it's much easier to stay awake and alert on the bike. And much better economy. Gotta get a luggage rack though

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:35 AM
KCW

Garage
I can help you with one issue: fog and rain.

Normally your windshield is just below your eye level, you should be looking over it, not through it.

The shield helps more with the air blast hitting your body, and to some extend the air is channeled up over your head, if your head is in just the right place.

Having said all that: put RainX on your windshield and the shield on your full face helmet. If you have somehow never used RainX, you are in for a delightful surprise. And put it on your truck windshield too.

For all my cars I buy the washer fluid with RainX in it (the orange stuff), so I dont have to bother applying it to the windshields anymore.

If the shield on your helmet is fogging up you need to crack it open just a bit, and sometimes all the way when you stop for a red light.

HJC makes helmets with a pinlock insert that is a double layer of plastic with an anti fog material on the inner side. I have used them when its very cold up here in NYS, but the problem I have is my glasses fog up anyway, so I have to crack the shield open a bit anyway to keep my glasses from fogging, so I dont need the insert. But if you dont wear glasses they are worth the cost in the rain.

Last edited by KCW; 04-29-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 AM

Garage
I'm with you KCW on using rain-x. It's saved me several times from heavy rains, sleet and snow. I use it on all my vehicles and on the 950s shorty windshield and all our helmets shields.

bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode