New owner from Central NJ - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

New owner from Central NJ

Hey there fellas. Haven't gotten my license yet (MSF course is next weekend), but i just picked up a 2010 V Star 650 Custom and figured i'd join a forum, seeing as i ALREADY have a few questions to ask that would be better geared towards more educated, experienced folks such as yourselves rather than my buddies. Still have yet to order gear or anything, so i could really use the help (IE what type of jacket to go for; textile versus leather, etc)
Looking forward to get to know you all, as well as chiming in with any information i might be able to provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM

Garage
Hi lambo, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase on the 650, and for taking an MSF course right from the start. You'll learn a lot from it making you more confident in riding.
We're fortunate to have the best members on the best forum going in my opinion. You'll get a lot of suggestions and ideas on gear from a lot of experienced riders.
One thing we're really big on is pics. We love em' here, so please share some of your new bike with us.
We're glad you joined us and ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Hi lambo, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new purchase on the 650, and for taking an MSF course right from the start. You'll learn a lot from it making you more confident in riding.
We're fortunate to have the best members on the best forum going in my opinion. You'll get a lot of suggestions and ideas on gear from a lot of experienced riders.
One thing we're really big on is pics. We love em' here, so please share some of your new bike with us.
We're glad you joined us and ride safely!

Bike needs a little love first; it's fairly dusty from sitting in the guys garage for the last year. Once its cleaned up ill certainly post some. Bike is about as close to new as you can get, haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 PM

Garage
Great! Looking forward to seeing them, hopefully you got a great deal on it.

bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:25 PM

The type of gear you get will primarily be dictated by your climate and the weather you want to ride in. I have 3 jackets to cover cold (leather), hot (mesh) and rain (Joe Rocket Atomic) as well as riding pants to go with it.

Having said that, I mostly use my mesh (Central TX, the temp today on my ride home was pushing 90).

Personally, I'd recommend getting something you'd wear right when you start riding and buy the gear as you need it (i.e. if you start feeling hot, buy a mesh jacket), etc..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Garage
Welcome from Maritime Canada, lambo. You got yourself a real nice ride there. Karim is right about the jackets. I have a heavy leather jacket which was fine until the temps got over 20C (70F). I nearly roasted on my way home from work, even with the vents open, and it's going to get a lot hotter soon. As much as I prefer leather, I'll probably get a mesh for warm weather riding.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Garage
lambo,

Welcome to the forum from Houston and congrats on the bike. Keith is right about the pics we all love them. As far as jackets all I wear is mesh, although I will layer when it gets to colder. I would also suggest you get a good pair of riding boots. I have a pair of Tour Master but just added a pair of HD boots due to getting an HD gift card. You would think that folks would know what brand of ride I have. Ugh
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Garage
Hey. I also say, good call with the MSF course. Best way to get your endorsement, and discount on insurance, at least in Massachusetts. Hope you'll get your 650 running mint.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned her up today, nice and shiny (despite the darn pollen; by tomorrow im sure itll be dirty again). The choke wasnt fully depressed, hence the hot exhaust issue, i think.
I ordered a leather jacket late last night from Revzilla, not realizing you dont get the cash back on the joe rocket stuff, plus after seeing all of my buddies running textile gear i think i may go with either a hybrid or a higher end textile. Just so many options out there...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:41 PM

I'm sure my wife would disagree, but no such thing as too much gear (it's always good to have options).

Also, good on you for taking the MSF course. I try to do the BRC2 every couple of years just to keep my ego in check.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode