CVS Group - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

CVS Group

Hi all, I'm not the best mechanic however I don't think I'm all thumbs neither. I have a 1999 XVS1100 CLASSIC V-Star which has not been turned on for 7 years, Drained the tank and over the period it has a little rust which we removed, changed inline filter and awating a new petcock , would like to change the spark plugs but can not determine best method.
Have read the post however the CLASSIC dose not have pull off chrome tops, rather they are screwed on, was able to remove the front but back will require the gas tank to be lifted to allow for some clearance.
Dilemma - NO SPARK PLUG after removing the chrome cover, so where is it, do you have to removed the top part of cylinder head ??
Thanks,
CVS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

PLease advise how to replace spark plug on 1999 XVS1100 CLASSIC, there was no spark plug after removing the chrome top on the front cylinder which was attached with 2 allen screws , not push onto rubber holders, and the back is more difficult which will require the lifting on gas tank to access screws !!
Thanks,
CVS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Garage
I have a 2000 1100 Classic, which should be identical to yours (they didn't change much over the years so all model years should be in this respect). I haven't changed my plugs as the PO did it last fall shortly before I bought it. After reading your post I went out to the shed and popped the covers off to see. They just pull off and the spark plugs are right there. They are down in a hole so you may not see them right away but just follow the wire. Had to finagle the back cover a bit to clear the tank but it came out fairly easily. Not sure about the Allen screws on yours. Maybe the plastic pins got broken and a someone modded them to screw on instead?

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
Just thought of something. The front spark plug is accessed from the left side, and the back one from the right side. There are similar covers on the opposite sides of the head that are attached with Allen screws. There's a vent hose attached to the top which could be mistaken as a spark plug wire at a glance. Is it possible you were taking the covers off the wrong side?
balzout1100 and balzout1100 like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode