Just joined Forum - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Charger
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Charger
  • 2 Post By Charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just joined Forum

OK...after a 37 year hiatus I got the urge to buy a motorcycle. The last bike I owned was a 1974 Kawasaki H1. So after about two years of research looking at the various options (dual purpose, sport touring, cruisers, ect.) Got my motorcycle license endorsement then went out and bought a 2011 V Star 950T with 5128 miles on it. I've put 4100 miles on her, but let me tell ya, THANK GOODNESS nothing bad happened that first couple of hundred miles, it was touch and go. Anyway...what really jumps out at me is how much better these current machines are compared to the 70's, the fit & finish, the handling, the comfort, oh and the brakes....how did we manage to stop those beasts ??
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:55 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum Charger, and for getting back in the saddle. Glad you're enjoying your 950t, I ride an 09' myself. It's true, how did we manage to stop some of the much earlier bikes? Lol. Please share some pics of your ride with us, we love em' here. Glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:29 AM

Garage
Welcome charger. I just got back into riding myself on an 1100 and I gotta agree that the VStars are comfortable and easy to handle for their size. Love to see some pics too!

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:03 PM
KCW

Garage
Those of us that managed to brake vintage motorcycles are still around to talk about it....

If you have not ridden in 37 years its great to take a MSF course, things have changed on the road over the years from the perspective of the rider. You will be amazed at what you thought you knew. I sure was.

More than just that, the fatal accident rate for guys our age is really high. The more you know about riding and gear, and the more you perfect your skills the better.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes things have changed...dramatically, I took the course to get motorcycle license before I actually purchased the bike, good stuff, I've used everything that was covered on the course out on the road. Something really good has happened, starting 2 days ago this bike started running a whole lot better, I'm attributing it to the fact that it had only been ridden 5000 miles in the 6 years before I bought her. I've already put 4000 on her in 4 months, something that was gummed up in her got ungummed, or maybe I just rode her hard enough she woke up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
True .....how did we stop those relics ?!?!?!...and I know I NEVER used the front brake back in those days. This 950 is a jewel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode