New to riding, first bike ever - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

New to riding, first bike ever

Hola all,
I just purchased my first bike of all time. Never rode dirtbikes as a kid, and have very limited time on a dirtbike as an adult. Decided to get a motorcycle because my husband LOVES to go out on the weekend, and I hate being left behind. Settled on an '02 Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic.

Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
Hey, awesome! The 650 is a great bike. I am on the 950 and loving it. Very glad you joined the Forum.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Keep moving, learning, loving, and living.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM
KCW

Garage
Nice! Read the story about MC reliability on the home page.

You 'settled' for THE most reliable cruiser bike on earth.

Strongly recommend you take the MSF beginners course to get your license. You dont have to take the road test, you get your license in 3 days

and it will literally save your butt sooner or later.

BTW, you may find that when he takes off on the weekend on his bike, you may want to do the same, in the other direction. There is a great deal of satisfaction riding alone, the freedom of going where you want at your own pace is incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I definitely plan on taking the MSF course. There's a couple colleges around the area that have classes available in June I'm looking at.

Glad to hear the 650 is a universally solid bike. Just riding around parking lots i've had tons of fun on it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chol13 View Post
I definitely plan on taking the MSF course. There's a couple colleges around the area that have classes available in June I'm looking at.

Glad to hear the 650 is a universally solid bike. Just riding around parking lots i've had tons of fun on it.
very cool. I will tell you the very first thing they teach you in the riding training, since you are already riding your bike.

It may sound silly and obvious, but one of the biggest problem new riders run into is dropping the bike in the driveway.

When you get on the bike, keep the kickstand down, grab the front brake tight, swing your leg over, sit down and put the kick stand up.

When you are on the bike YOU are keeping it up. dont sit on the kickstand. Even if you are not going to start the bike, always do it the same way.

When you get off the bike put the kickstand down, holding the front brake tight, put the weight on the stand, and swing your leg off the bike.

Make it second nature that when you are on the bike the kickstand is up, and when you get off you put it down.

This also implies that if you need to move the bike, sit on the bike and duck-walk it, dont try to push it standing next to it.

Again: you will be amazed at how many people drop their bikes because they jump off and then try to put the kickstand down, or they just forget.

You cannot 'man handle' a street bike like a bicycle or a dirt bike.

You can do a lot of damage dropping the bike sideways at zero mph.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Garage
Hello chol great you have joined the forum. All great advice from fello members....you will be glad to have taken the MSF course. Would love to see a pic or two of your ride? Even after taking a course, it doesn't hurt to read materials, books, etc. and watch some videos. YamaMassGirl has some posted on our forum. They are very helpful and remind us of the important things concerning motorcycle riding. Ride safe and enjoy~YammyV
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM

Garage
Welcome chol. You have a great bike and this is the best place to get advice and ask any questions you may have. I agree, those MC Rider videos contain a wealth of knowledge.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Garage
Hi chol13! Welcome to the forum and always glad to have another lady rider in our midst. Ditto on the MSF course and what KCW stated. You're going to love the reliability of your 650, great starter bikes and very nimble. Glad you joined us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Solid advice
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Trying to post from my phone. Hopefully this will work. This is my bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_143702_1494332775909.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	69953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode