New Rider and V-Star owner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

New Rider and V-Star owner

53 years old and just started riding. I took the BRC in December and bought a 2007 V-Star 650 in February. After something like 350 miles of short rides around the neighborhood before going out on the road (until the neighbors thought I was lost, crazy, or both) I've put an additional 1000 miles on her in less than a month now.

I'm also a private pilot, thus the username. I seem to have a penchant for hobbies that involve turning money into noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Garage
RideAndFly,

Welcome to the forum from Houston and congrats on your bike. This is a great place and folks are very helpful. Just a note, everyone here loves to see pics of folks bikes so post some when you can. Based on your last sentence you must also have a boat (j/k).
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum RAF, that's correct about the pics, we love me here. Ride safely and we're glad you joined us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
Welcome from Maritime Canada, and congrats on your new ride.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Ride often and safe. Riding and flying, sounds like two good hobbies.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM

Welcome! Where ya from? I Just took the BRC course this week, and just got my license yesterday.. Just got off my 2010 V Star 650, haha.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikearc095 View Post
RideAndFly,

Welcome to the forum from Houston and congrats on your bike. This is a great place and folks are very helpful. Just a note, everyone here loves to see pics of folks bikes so post some when you can. Based on your last sentence you must also have a boat (j/k).
No, no boat, but I also like to shoot and if I'm not paying for airplane rental (I'm in a flying club which is much better than just renting outright) or motorcycle stuff I also buy guns and ammo and go punch holes in paper. Thus the "money into noise" comment, which is something pilots often say about their .. affliction.

I do have hobbies that don't qualify though. Getting back into ham radio (licensed since 1978 but been off the air for a couple of decades) and "analog" (film) photograph and darkroom work, which is quite the opposite. Soft orange light and some jazz playing and I can print all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo2936 View Post
Welcome! Where ya from? I Just took the BRC course this week, and just got my license yesterday.. Just got off my 2010 V Star 650, haha.
Lawrenceville, GA, northeast suburb of Atlanta. Originally from Elizabethton in northeast Tennessee but been here since 2003. Probably retire eventually to the north Georgia mountains, but for right now my job is in Atlanta.

As for the photos, well the thing is, there are several things in progress. I have photos of her when I bought her, but weekend before last I was riding with a buddy and my upper pipe fell off. At 65 mph. I didn't know WTH happened, can't see it riding, just the bike got real noisy. We found the pipe beside the road and on the next Tuesday (they're closed Sunday and Monday) I took it to the shop where I bought it (consignment sale.) The bolt holding it had apparently backed out and left the pipe to vibrate freely until it broke off at the little midpipe adapter between the slip on and the header pipe. I had three choices: 1) they could order the midpipe adapter bit and gasket from Yamaha and have it in about a week, for $35, and put my old pipe back on. It's functional, but really banged and scratched up from falling off at 65 mph. Or if I didn't want a banged up scratched up upper pipe, 2) they could order a new one from Yamaha, also about a week delay, for over $400, or 3) I could put new Vance and Hines pipes on in a couple of days and ride it that weekend, for $550. I said "do eet!"

So the pictures I have of the bike are with the stock pipes, just as I bought her. But she has Vance and Hines Cruzers on now, plus I have much larger bags and a custom made back rest to install this weekend, so she'll look rather different.

But here she is as I bought her, with and without yours truly. I named her Jessica, after Jessica Rabbit, because she's red (a red-head) and my name is Roger. Seemed perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Star2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	70465   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Star3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	70473   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Star4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	70481   Click image for larger version

Name:	MeV-Star3a.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	70489   Click image for larger version

Name:	MeV-Star2a.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	70497  

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:46 AM
KCW

Garage
Good deal on the MSF course for both posters.

I took it 4 years ago to get my license before I had a MC. I thought it would be a formality because I had owned an enduro bike for most of my life, and obviously I knew how to ride.

I learned quickly how many things I did not know, taking the class may be the best $250 ever spent in my life, and what I learned has saved my butt many times.

And esp for those of us with grey hair, for some reason older riders have a very high accident and death rate. Ive never heard a clear explanation for why: maybe because lots of guys want to "get back into riding" when they are older, and can now afford really big, fast expensive bikes?

Knowledge is power.

Ride safe, be well, do good work.... and keep in touch.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:57 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAndFly View Post

I do have hobbies that don't qualify though. Getting back into ham radio (licensed since 1978 but been off the air for a couple of decades) and "analog" (film) photograph and darkroom work,
we have a lot in common, including riding the same bike.

KG2ET since the mid '80s. I have not owned a radio in decades. In a lot of ways the internet has taken some of the appeal of the hobby, because (like right now) we can talk to people all over the world, Skype even, for free, and there is no challenge involved at all. But I do like the appeal of talking on 20 meters at night and imagining the radio waves skipping across the atmosphere to the other side of the earth.

I have a couple really nice 35mm cameras in a drawer that I never use. I have found that digital cameras give far faster feedback on what you are shooting. I like using Photoshop as an artistic tool.

At work we have a 24" roll ink jet printer, so I can make prints 24" tall and as long as the roll and ink lasts.

Ive spent a lot of time drawing and painting as well. I find that starting with a photo as the base and then creating the image I want from that is more productive use of my time, and I think I get better results.

Here is my bike drenched in photoshop and one of my favorite places to go on a MC:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteFaceTower Poster.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	70505   Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar edge.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	70513  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Garage
Like many, I've been riding since I was 10, but when I got married 20 years ago I sold my bike and just recently got back into it. I've learned a lot from the MC Rider videos and practicing in parking lots, but those stats are scary for gray old farts like myself and I don't want to become one of them. Up here in New Brunswick the course is $500 (mandatory for new riders) but they offer a weekend refresher course for people who just want to update their skills and have their own bike. At $150 it's a no brainer so I'm going to sign up for it.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode