New member who could use some help. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

New member who could use some help.

Hey everybody new guy here with a question. Can't figure out how to post in any other forum section but have an issue and have searched rigorously. My 09 V Star 950 sat in pieces over the winter, I put cobra pipes on, cobra intake, cobra fuel management, and the low and mean coil cover. Put the back all back together now that it's finally nice out and when I tried starting it it would crank but wouldn't start. At one point in cranking I shot some flames out of the top pipe. Is there a good direction to start since it ran perfect before the winter and tear down? The coils were removed and can't find out if I hooked them back up correctly or if that is even my issue. It's almost like the bike tried to fire on the exhaust stroke. Or could it be something with the cobra fuel management. I hope this is an acceptable spot to post this as I'm at wits end trying to get my bike going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:11 AM
KCW

Garage
Im not familiar with any of the mods you made on your bike

but if it fired out flames it was totally flooded, so something is not working as it should.

Normally when you put low restriction exhaust and intake on a MC it will lean out, sometimes so far that it will not start. So the fuel management mod might not be set right?

Another thing to check is to make sure your battery is fully charged. If it sat for a while it might be low enough that the starter will spin but the ignition does not have enough voltage to fire the spark plugs. When this happens sometime it will fire once just as you let the starter button go (the voltage comes back up because you are not powering the starter, but the flywheel is still spinning for a second).

Im sure someone with more experience with the mods you made will jump in here.

You could copy your post over in the Vstar section of the forum. Some people dont read the new member threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode